Hartford, Conn. (AP) — Jazz composer and pianist Dave Brubeck, whose pioneering style in pieces such as "Take Five" caught listeners' ears with exotic, challenging rhythms, has died. He was 91.
Brubeck died Wednesday morning at Norwalk Hospital of heart failure after being stricken while on his way to a cardiology appointment with his son Darius, said his manager Russell Gloyd. Brubeck would have turned 92 on Thursday.
Brubeck had a career that spanned almost all American jazz since World War II. He formed The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1951 and was the first modern jazz musician to be pictured on the cover of Time magazine – on Nov. 8, 1954 – and he helped define the swinging, smoky rhythms of 1950s and `60s club jazz.
The seminal album "Time Out," released by the quartet in 1959, was the first ever million-selling jazz LP, and is still among the best-selling jazz albums of all time. It opens with "Blue »
Similar News ItemsRonald Reagan (I)
- President Obama and Zach Galifianakis Nab Emmy Nomination for ‘Between Two Ferns’ (From The Wrap. 10 July 2014, 12:19 PM, PDT)
- Dinesh D'Souza's America: The Vainglorious Huckster Trembles Before Another Left-Wing Conspiracy (From Village Voice. 2 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Fassbender, Lawrence, McAvoy to don 1980's attire in next X-Men film (From Cineplex. 16 June 2014, 1:41 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: ‘Boyhood’ Producers Say Richard Linklater Finally Getting His Due (From Variety - Film News. 13 July 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- The Films of Richard Linklater: Ranked From Best to Worst (From Variety - Film News. 11 July 2014, 12:28 PM, PDT)
- Boyhood movie review: time in a cinematic bottle (From FlickFilosopher. 11 July 2014, 5:46 AM, PDT)
Since You've Been Gone (1998) (TV)
- New Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Movie Delivered Great Action,Drama & More (From OnTheFlix. 12 July 2014, 8:02 PM, PDT)
- July 8th Blu-ray & DVD Releases Include Bloody Birthday, Lake Placid, The Raid 2 (From DailyDead. 7 July 2014, 5:44 PM, PDT)
- Film4 FrightFest's Amazing 2014 Line-up Announced! New Images Revealed! (From Dread Central. 27 June 2014, 9:52 AM, PDT)