Yet here goes: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is stuffed with Hollywood's latest technology – 3-D, high-speed projection and Dolby's Atmos surround sound system. The result is some eye candy that truly dazzles and some that utterly distracts, at least in its test-run of 48 frames a second, double the projection rate that has been standard since silent-film days.
It's also overstuffed with, well, stuff. Prologues and sidestepping backstory. Long, boring councils among dwarves, wizards and elves. A shallow blood feud extrapolated from sketchy appendices to J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" to give the film a bad guy.
Remember the interminable false endings of "The Return of the King," the Academy Award-winning finale of Jackson's "Lord of the Rings"? "An Unexpected »
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Harrison Ford -- Solo Goes Yolo ... Plunges Down 2,500 Foot Slide (From TMZ. 21 August 2014, 12:30 AM, PDT)
- Blockbusters on the fringe: the shows riffing on pop cultural giants (From The Guardian - TV News. 21 August 2014, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Even By Nic Cage's Bizarre Standards, Outcast Looks Off-The-Wall Insane (From Cinema Blend. 20 August 2014, 7:42 PM, PDT)
James Cameron (I)
- Sigourney Weaver Doesn’t Want To Be An ‘Expendabelle’ (From The Hollywood News. 21 August 2014, 2:45 AM, PDT)
- James Cameron's 'Avatar' Sequels To Address 'State of the World' (From LatinoReview. 21 August 2014, 2:40 AM, PDT)
- James Cameron Can Express All His Artistic Observations Through ‘Avatar’ Sequels (From Slash Film. 20 August 2014, 3:30 PM, PDT)
Peter Jackson (I)
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins ‘The Jungle Book’ As Shere Khan (From The Hollywood News. 20 August 2014, 12:41 AM, PDT)
- Jungle Book: Origins (2016): Benedict Cumberbatch voicing Shere Khan (From Film-Book. 19 August 2014, 9:48 PM, PDT)
- Benedict Cumberbatch to roar as Shere Khan in Andy Serkis's 'Jungle Book' (From Hitfix. 19 August 2014, 2:41 PM, PDT)