There's always drama on screen in the Emmy-winning British series "Downton Abbey," but now there's trouble off screen as well. Romantic lead Dan Stevens, who plays Matthew Crawley, has reportedly opted to leave the show in Season 4, despite his character's prominent role in the story.
"Sometimes actors feel they want to move on. Initially, for the first two or three [seasons] you can contract them, but after that, every season, you have to re-contract them," "Downton" creator Julian Fellowes tells Entertainment Weekly. "If they don't want to come back, there's nothing we can do."
Boo! "Downton" just wouldn't be the same without Matthew, especially considering the twists and turns in his relationship with Mary (Michelle Dockery) throughout Season 3, which already aired in the U.K. and begins airing in the U.S. Jan. 6 on PBS.
At least Fellowes realizes that re-casting the role would simply be too much: "I can't see us doing that, »
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- The Future Lady Glen Affric! All About Pippa Middleton’s New Title — and Why She’ll Likely Never Use It (From PEOPLE.com. 25 May 2017, 11:06 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Update: Gurinder Chadha’s “Viceroy’s House” Gets U.S. Distribution (From Women and Hollywood. 25 May 2017, 7:01 AM, PDT)
- Emmy Preview: Who’s In and Who’s Out in Nine Key Categories (From Variety - TV News. 24 May 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
Maggie Smith (I)
- When good TV goes bad: the straw that broke Downton Abbey's back (From The Guardian - TV News. 29 May 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Downton Abbey: Movie Given the Greenlight (Report) (From TVSeriesFinale. 23 May 2017, 7:06 PM, PDT)
- “Ab Fab’s” Joanna Lumley to Receive the BAFTA Fellowship (From Women and Hollywood. 3 May 2017, 2:01 PM, PDT)
Dan Stevens (IV)
- Box-Office Milestone: 'Beauty and the Beast' Twirls Past $500M in the U.S. (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 28 May 2017, 11:39 AM, PDT)
- ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Dances Past Half-Billion Domestic Mark at Box Office (From The Wrap. 28 May 2017, 10:20 AM, PDT)
- ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Crosses $500 Million Milestone at Domestic Box Office (From Variety - Film News. 28 May 2017, 8:59 AM, PDT)