Books will surely be written about the complicated journey to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's classic novel to the big screen.
The abridged version runs something like this: After Peter Jackson completed the Lord of the Rings trilogy in 2003 with New Line, director and studio were keen to make The Hobbit. New Line would co-produce the film with MGM, which held the film rights. However, Jackson and New Line got into a legal battle over royalties, finally settling the matter in the fall of 2007. It was then announced Jackson would executive produce The Hobbit and its sequel.
In 2008, Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy) was brought in to direct, but script delays and the fact MGM had fallen into bankruptcy held up production, forcing him to abandon the project in May 2010. This past October, del Toro told The Hollywood Reporter that leaving The Hobbit was "the most difficult professional decision I've ever had to make. »
- Ingrid Randoja - Cineplex Magazine
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- 'Unbroken,' 'Into the Woods' Earn $15M on Christmas Day (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 26 December 2014, 10:04 AM, PST)
- Best of the Week: From 'Into the Woods' to 'Unbroken,' Our Top Holiday Stories (From Thompson on Hollywood. 26 December 2014, 9:16 AM, PST)
- Box Office: ‘The Interview’ Earns $1 Million on Christmas; ‘Unbroken,’ ‘Into the Woods’ Surging to $40M (From Variety - Film News. 26 December 2014, 9:11 AM, PST)
Guillermo del Toro
- 'Constantine' Star Wants to Join the DC Movie Universe (From MovieWeb. 26 December 2014, 6:03 AM, PST)
- Set Images From Del Toro's "Crimson Peak" (From SneakPeek. 23 December 2014, 6:29 AM, PST)
- Norman Reedus Says Kojima And Del Toro Have Some “Heavy Stuff” Planned For Silent Hills (From We Got This Covered. 22 December 2014, 3:25 PM, PST)
- The Strain – box set review: slime, sewage and seared flesh aplenty (From The Guardian - TV News. 25 December 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- First Look At Jessica Chastain In Guillermo Del Toro’s Crimson Peak (From We Got This Covered. 18 December 2014, 12:23 PM, PST)
- First Look: Jessica Chastain Gets Gothic in del Toro's 'Crimson Peak' (From FirstShowing.net. 18 December 2014, 11:11 AM, PST)