At midnight Us east coast time, Twitter bore witness to a flood of reactions to "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Having screened for select international media in New Zealand last week, and then in Los Angeles and New York over the weekend, the press reviews had all been embargoed until a few hours ago.
As a result, the reviews and rants flew thick and fast with much of it centered around not just the film, but the decision to screen it for media with Jackson's experimental 48 frames-per-second (Hfr) technology.
Putting the latter aside for the moment, the film itself scored mixed to positive reviews with praise for the various actors, and the common criticisms relating mostly to a bloated length, a slow first hour, and overuse of CG. Some say Thorin is the only dwarf with any real development, others seemed to be taken surprise by the lighter and broad »
- Garth Franklin
Similar News ItemsDrew McWeeny
- Jeff Bayer’s Remedial Film School at Film School Rejects with Drew McWeeny, Amy Nicholson, and Vince Mancini (From Scorecard Review. 7 January 2017, 3:15 PM, PST)
- Scott’s Favorites of 2016 (From DailyDead. 4 January 2017, 3:16 PM, PST)
- 'Midnight Special' director is back with 'Loving' and it's a must-see (From Hitfix. 7 November 2016, 6:00 AM, PST)
Peter Jackson (I)
- Ian McKellen Will Return as Gandalf in London Stage Show (From MovieWeb. 22 March 2017, 3:21 PM, PDT)
- 'Legends of Tomorrow' Recap: How Does Captain Cold Join the Legion of Doom? (From BuddyTV. 21 March 2017, 1:53 PM, PDT)
- The Alternate Opening For Kong: Skull Island Would’ve Had The Great Ape Encounter A Familiar Face (From We Got This Covered. 20 March 2017, 9:50 AM, PDT)
Michael Mann (I)
- ‘Churchill’ Trailer: Brian Cox Is Obsessed with Accomplishing Historical Greatness in New D-Day Drama — Watch (From Indiewire. 21 March 2017, 7:29 AM, PDT)
- Colin Farrell Reunites (Again) with Yorgos Lanthimos for Iran-Contra Drama (From The Film Stage. 20 March 2017, 3:04 PM, PDT)
- Rushes. Orson Welles on Netflix, Malick Speaks, Michael Mann on "Heat" & "Collateral," Classic Takedowns (From MUBI. 14 March 2017, 1:51 PM, PDT)