"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" won't open until Dec. 14, but the first reviews are already in and they're ... mixed.
Critics generally agree that Peter Jackson's return to the realm of J.R.R. Tolkien lives up to the technical achievements of his Oscar-winning mega-hit "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. But with a bloated running time of 174 minutes (the end credits alone are 16 minutes!) for what is just the first film in a brand new trilogy, there's also a consensus that "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" isn't exactly swift on its oversized feet.
Star Martin Freeman (of the original U.K. "The Office" and the current BBC "Sherlock") is often cited as a strength, along with co-star Andy Serkis who reprises his motion-capture "Rings" role as Gollum.
Here's a taste of what critics are saying:
"'The Hobbit' alternately rewards and abuses [audience] appetite for all things Middle-earth. While Peter Jackson's prequel to »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- ‘Hobbit’ Star Richard Armitage on Tackling New ‘Hannibal’ Villain Francis Dolarhyde (From The Wrap. 24 July 2015, 6:35 AM, PDT)
- New Zealand Film Agencies to Merge (From Variety - Film News. 24 July 2015, 12:54 AM, PDT)
- I, Madman | Blu-ray Review (From ioncinema. 21 July 2015, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- 'Star Wars 7' Has Few Shots That Are Completely CGI (From MovieWeb. 29 July 2015, 3:21 PM, PDT)
- Actors vote Tootsie greatest film ever made (From The Guardian - Film News. 29 July 2015, 8:33 AM, PDT)
- You'll be surprised at just how much Star Wars has changed over the years (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 28 July 2015, 8:31 AM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- Who Does Hawkeye Side with in 'Captain America: Civil War'? (From MovieWeb. 28 July 2015, 6:52 PM, PDT)
- The Week in Spandex – Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League Dark, Hellboy 3, X-Men/Fantastic Four, Gambit and more (From Flickeringmyth. 25 July 2015, 3:35 AM, PDT)
- Sherlock's unaired pilot: How does it stack up to 'A Study in Pink'? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 25 July 2015, 1:00 AM, PDT)