"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" won't open until Dec. 14, but the first reviews are already in and they're ... mixed.
Critics generally agree that Peter Jackson's return to the realm of J.R.R. Tolkien lives up to the technical achievements of his Oscar-winning mega-hit "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. But with a bloated running time of 174 minutes (the end credits alone are 16 minutes!) for what is just the first film in a brand new trilogy, there's also a consensus that "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" isn't exactly swift on its oversized feet.
Star Martin Freeman (of the original U.K. "The Office" and the current BBC "Sherlock") is often cited as a strength, along with co-star Andy Serkis who reprises his motion-capture "Rings" role as Gollum.
Here's a taste of what critics are saying:
"'The Hobbit' alternately rewards and abuses [audience] appetite for all things Middle-earth. While Peter Jackson's prequel to »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Disney's The Bfg coming Dec. 6 to Blu-ray, Digital (From Cinelinx. 27 September 2016, 10:04 PM, PDT)
- The Bfg Arrives Home for Dreamers Dec. 6 (From Comicmix. 27 September 2016, 2:45 PM, PDT)
- Herschell Gordon Lewis, the 'Godfather of Gore,' has died (From Hitfix. 26 September 2016, 12:45 PM, PDT)
- Black Panther Movie Casts A New Villain (From We Got This Covered. 28 September 2016, 6:09 PM, PDT)
- Black Panther Casts Man-Ape (From ComicBookMovie. 28 September 2016, 5:27 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars: who is Snoke? Exploring the theories (From Den of Geek. 19 September 2016, 9:15 AM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- Winston Duke Is Man-Ape in Black Panther (From MovieWeb. 29 September 2016, 9:44 AM, PDT)
- Captain America: Civil War VFX video breaks down the CGI effects on Black Panther (From Flickeringmyth. 29 September 2016, 1:35 AM, PDT)
- Sherlock: Season Four Episode Titles Released (From TVSeriesFinale. 27 September 2016, 8:22 PM, PDT)