"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" won't open until Dec. 14, but the first reviews are already in and they're ... mixed.
Critics generally agree that Peter Jackson's return to the realm of J.R.R. Tolkien lives up to the technical achievements of his Oscar-winning mega-hit "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. But with a bloated running time of 174 minutes (the end credits alone are 16 minutes!) for what is just the first film in a brand new trilogy, there's also a consensus that "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" isn't exactly swift on its oversized feet.
Star Martin Freeman (of the original U.K. "The Office" and the current BBC "Sherlock") is often cited as a strength, along with co-star Andy Serkis who reprises his motion-capture "Rings" role as Gollum.
Here's a taste of what critics are saying:
"'The Hobbit' alternately rewards and abuses [audience] appetite for all things Middle-earth. While Peter Jackson's prequel to »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Housebound review – a madcap maelstrom of horror-comedy (From The Guardian - Film News. 4 July 2015, 11:59 PM, PDT)
- The lost projects of Guillermo del Toro: From Justice League Dark to The Hobbit (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 4 July 2015, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- Housebound review – horror-comedy that works as both (From The Guardian - Film News. 2 July 2015, 2:20 PM, PDT)
- Early Ultron concept art for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron (From Flickeringmyth. 3 July 2015, 3:36 AM, PDT)
- Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens Captain Phasma, Tie Pilot and Snowtrooper minifigs leaked (From Flickeringmyth. 1 July 2015, 12:27 PM, PDT)
- Battle Royale: Summer Blockbusters - And the Winner Is... (From Cineplex. 1 July 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- Say What You Will About the Academy - But Some Cool International Names Among 2015 New Member Invitees (From Alt Film Guide. 30 June 2015, 6:47 PM, PDT)
- Aussies and Kiwis invited to join AMPAS (From IF.com.au. 30 June 2015, 3:39 PM, PDT)
- Aussies invited to join AMPAS (From IF.com.au. 30 June 2015, 3:39 PM, PDT)