When it was delayed several months by Fox Searchlight, it was thought John Madden’s "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" didn't have the goods to be an awards contender in 2011. The school of thinking was that it would quietly slip away in its early May slot, trampled by the big studio blockbusters that dominate the period.
That didn't happen. Instead, 'Marigold' ended up becoming of the biggest sleeper hits of the year, taking in $134 million worldwide (from only a $10 million budget). It was one of the highest-grossing specialty releases of the year in the United States, and one of the highest-grossing overall releases in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom in 2012.
Now, word is that director John Madden and writer Ol Parker are getting to work on a sequel with three names set to join the cast. According to Roger Friedman, two names are likely to be Helen Mirren and Colin Firth, »
- Garth Franklin
Similar News ItemsColin Firth
- Sequel Bits: ‘Terminator: Genisys’, ‘Ted 2′, ‘Zoolander 2′, ‘Star Trek 3′, ‘Hot Tub Time Machine 2′ (From Slash Film. 28 January 2015, 2:00 PM, PST)
- James Marsh To Direct Colin Firth In 1968 World Yacht Race Pic (From We Got This Covered. 28 January 2015, 9:35 AM, PST)
- Colin Firth to play sailor Donald Crowhurst in new biopic (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 28 January 2015, 4:25 AM, PST)
- Contest: Win Cinephile Book 'What I Love About Movies' Featuring Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, Spike Jonze & More (From The Playlist. 28 January 2015, 12:41 PM, PST)
- Katie Holmes to star in Ray Donovan (From National Ledger. 28 January 2015, 9:16 AM, PST)
- Katie Holmes Is Returning to TV! (From Entertainment Tonight. 27 January 2015, 8:18 PM, PST)
- Prince Harry's Ex Cressida Bonas: Fashion Muse, Partygoer & Hollywood 'It Girl' (From PEOPLE.com. 28 January 2015, 1:45 PM, PST)
- Dame Judi Dench: 'I might get an unbelievably rude tattoo' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 January 2015, 4:01 PM, PST)
- Doctor Who and stage actor Barrie Ingham dies, aged 82 (From Digital Spy - TV news. 27 January 2015, 9:08 AM, PST)