When it was delayed several months by Fox Searchlight, it was thought John Madden’s "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" didn't have the goods to be an awards contender in 2011. The school of thinking was that it would quietly slip away in its early May slot, trampled by the big studio blockbusters that dominate the period.
That didn't happen. Instead, 'Marigold' ended up becoming of the biggest sleeper hits of the year, taking in $134 million worldwide (from only a $10 million budget). It was one of the highest-grossing specialty releases of the year in the United States, and one of the highest-grossing overall releases in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom in 2012.
Now, word is that director John Madden and writer Ol Parker are getting to work on a sequel with three names set to join the cast. According to Roger Friedman, two names are likely to be Helen Mirren and Colin Firth, »
- Garth Franklin
Similar News ItemsColin Firth
- Tim’S Vermeer – The Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 6 March 2014, 2:21 PM, PST)
- Mourn your lost childhood with new 'Paddington' teaser trailer (From Hitfix. 5 March 2014, 6:30 PM, PST)
- A 'Paddington' Teaser Trailer Arrives, All the Way From Peru (Video) (From Moviefone. 5 March 2014, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Vulture’s Behind-the-Scenes Oscar Weekend Party Timeline (From Vulture. 3 March 2014, 2:11 PM, PST)
- Liza Minnelli arrives at Oscars with Blue Hair (From TVovermind.com. 2 March 2014, 4:04 PM, PST)
- Liza Minnelli Rocks Blue Hair Streak at 2014 Oscars—See the Pic! (From E! Online. 2 March 2014, 3:36 PM, PST)
- Frank to compete in Istanbul (From ScreenDaily. 7 March 2014, 4:06 AM, PST)
- Guardian film awards winners 2014 (From The Guardian - Film News. 7 March 2014, 2:33 AM, PST)
- The Act of Killing wins top prize at first Guardian Film Awards (From The Guardian - Film News. 7 March 2014, 2:09 AM, PST)