Gilda Radner, the former "Saturday Night Live" actress who died in 1989 after battling ovarian cancer, has long been the inspiration behind the national cancer support group Gilda's Club. But one chapter of Gilda's Club in Madison, Wis. has drawn heat for changing its name because it felt younger generations wouldn't recognize what it stood for as they no longer knew who Radner was.
"We are seeing younger and younger adults who are dealing with a cancer diagnosis," the club's executive director, Lannia Syren Stenz, tells the Wisconsin State Journal (via CBS News). "We want to make sure that what we are is clear to them and that there's not a lot of confusion that would cause people not to come in our doors."
Instead, the Madison chapter is now called Cancer Support Community Southwest Wisconsin. Though other chapters of the organization have declared they won't be changing their affiliation to Radner, »
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Amy Poehler Really Wants People to Sing Christmas Carols (From BuzzSugar. 13 December 2013, 7:00 AM, PST)
- 'SNL' to add black female cast member in January (From EW.com - Inside TV. 13 December 2013, 6:51 AM, PST)
- SNL to Cast Black Woman —and Soon (From newser. 13 December 2013, 6:11 AM, PST)
CBS News [us]
- Adults outstrip teens in texting and using phones while driving (From RealBollywood. 12 December 2013, 11:35 PM, PST)
- Susan Sarandon admits to being 'stoned at almost all awards shows' (From RealBollywood. 12 December 2013, 10:10 PM, PST)
- 48% Americans opposed to scrapping of ban on cellphone use in flights (From RealBollywood. 12 December 2013, 1:52 AM, PST)
- Lena Dunham Hilariously, Candidly Interviews Mindy Kaling (From Rolling Stone. 11 November 2013, 9:20 AM, PST)
- 'Simpsons' Actress Marcia Wallace Dead at 70 (From Rolling Stone. 26 October 2013, 9:53 AM, PDT)
- Marcia Wallace, actress from 'The Simpsons' and 'The Bob Newhart Show', dies at 70 (From EW.com - Inside TV. 26 October 2013, 8:47 AM, PDT)