Gilda Radner, the former "Saturday Night Live" actress who died in 1989 after battling ovarian cancer, has long been the inspiration behind the national cancer support group Gilda's Club. But one chapter of Gilda's Club in Madison, Wis. has drawn heat for changing its name because it felt younger generations wouldn't recognize what it stood for as they no longer knew who Radner was.
"We are seeing younger and younger adults who are dealing with a cancer diagnosis," the club's executive director, Lannia Syren Stenz, tells the Wisconsin State Journal (via CBS News). "We want to make sure that what we are is clear to them and that there's not a lot of confusion that would cause people not to come in our doors."
Instead, the Madison chapter is now called Cancer Support Community Southwest Wisconsin. Though other chapters of the organization have declared they won't be changing their affiliation to Radner, »
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Cancelled or Renewed? Status of NBC TV Shows (From TVSeriesFinale. 28 July 2014, 12:48 PM, PDT)
- Mike Myers: Good Genes or Good Docs? (From TMZ. 27 July 2014, 12:05 AM, PDT)
- Comic-Con sneak peek trailer for Adult Swim’s Mike Tyson Mysteries (From Flickeringmyth. 26 July 2014, 5:23 AM, PDT)
CBS News [us]
- 'Better Call Saul' Billboard Lets You Actually Call Saul (From Entertainment Tonight. 24 July 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Madeline Amgott Dead: Pioneering Female TV News Producer Dies at 92 (From Variety - TV News. 22 July 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- George Harrison Memorial Tree Destroyed by Beetles (From Entertainment Tonight. 22 July 2014, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- Jerry Seinfeld's ‘Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee’ to Brew Up 4 More Seasons (From The Wrap. 30 April 2014, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- Power of Women: New York Continues to Incubate Trailblazing Women of Entertainment (From Variety - TV News. 22 April 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Power of Women: New York Continues to Incubate Trailblazing Women of Entertainment (From Variety - Film News. 22 April 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)