Abandon all hope of stumbling on substance, ye who enter the Longacre Theatre to see its current showing centered on the world of porn. But if you're looking for some off-color, down-and-dirty humor, you could do a lot worse. The Performers is best summed up by one of its own flippant film titles, "I ate Chinese and now I'm hungry"; it's no main course of theater, but it might leave you wanting some more.
It's difficult to shake the feeling that this play would have found a happier home Off-Broadway, but Broadway has worn less-fitting costumes and made them work, so this foul-mouthed play will just have to do its best to fill out the larger, less adventurous houses.
For all his profanity, playwright David West Read actually keeps it pretty clean for a piece about the porn industry. Writing with sitcom precision and timing, Read keeps a quick pace, »
- C. Jefferson Thom
Similar News ItemsCheyenne Jackson (I)
- American Horror Story Season 6 Teasers Offer New Hints at Top-Secret Theme (From TVLine.com. 28 July 2016, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- American Horror Story Releases Predictably Terrifying First Teasers for Mysterious Season 6 (From PEOPLE.com. 27 July 2016, 3:10 PM, PDT)
- Us Briefs: 'Gold' gets December 25 wide release (From ScreenDaily. 21 July 2016, 11:14 AM, PDT)
- Tiff Lineup: 5 Reasons to Get Excited About the 2016 Program (From Indiewire. 26 July 2016, 1:21 PM, PDT)
- Alicia Silverstone Heads to TV for a New Comedy (From Women and Hollywood. 26 July 2016, 11:41 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Tiff’s 2016 lineup features The Magnificent Seven and a young Barack Obama (From The AV Club. 26 July 2016, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- Disney's Rocketeer 2 Will Have a Black Female Lead (From MovieWeb. 28 July 2016, 12:09 PM, PDT)
- Disney's The Rocketeer Getting A Reboot (From LatinoReview. 28 July 2016, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- Best TV to Watch in August: 'You're the Worst,' Olympics and More (From Rolling Stone. 28 July 2016, 7:00 AM, PDT)