As speculation swirls about the next step for the Batman franchise - in particular the possibility of Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the cape and cowl - Christopher Nolan has explained the ending to his Dark Knight saga.
The final scenes of The Dark Knight Rises indicated that police officer John Blake, played by Gordon-Levitt, had inherited the caped crusader's mantle.
But Nolan says he was not necessarily setting up a continuation of the storyline.
He told Film Comment: "For me, The Dark Knight Rises is specifically and definitely the end of the Batman story as I wanted to tell it, and the open-ended nature of the film is simply a very important thematic idea that we wanted to get into the movie, which is that Batman is a symbol. He can be anybody, and that was very important to us.
"Not every Batman fan will necessarily agree with that interpretation of the philosophy of the character, »
- David Bentley
Similar News ItemsChristopher Nolan (I)
- You Can Now Download all of Christopher Nolan’s Screenplays (From TVovermind.com. 23 September 2017, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- The Dark Knight’s first 5 minutes say more about The Joker than the rest of the movie (From The AV Club. 22 September 2017, 9:01 AM, PDT)
- “The Disaster Artist”: September Oscar predictions (From Hollywoodnews.com. 22 September 2017, 7:13 AM, PDT)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Tiger Zinda Hai Starring Salman and Katrina wraps (From Bollyspice. 22 September 2017, 9:56 AM, PDT)
- Gal Gadot May Take a Break from DC for Bradley Cooper's Deeper (From MovieWeb. 20 September 2017, 3:12 PM, PDT)
- Tom Hardy Just Gets Better With Age (From Popsugar. 15 September 2017, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- China’s Tencent Pictures Ratchets Up Role as Next Generation Film, TV Powerhouse (From Variety - Film News. 18 September 2017, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Watch: The Cast of It Reveals Who'd They Like to See Play the Adult Versions of Their Characters in the Sequel (From PEOPLE.com. 12 September 2017, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- Wonder Woman 2 director revealed, Venom delayed, The Last Jedi cameo and more – Daily News Roundup (From Flickeringmyth. 12 September 2017, 12:02 AM, PDT)