Lawless, for all its flaws, delivers a very entertaining trip through a particular landmark of time and space. Based on true events, and with John Hillcoat at the helm, the film gives us a glimpse at life during Prohibition-era Virginia, and the strange circumstances the nation’s dry time created in many parts of the country.
The film ultimately suffers from what seems to be a certain odd spin on having delusions of grandeur by screenwriter Nick Cave, who isn’t satisfied to simply tell the story, but has to push many elements beyond the point of interest and what is legitimately believable and watchable.
Still, that opening should be read too harshly, because the problems I had with the film didn’t detract overly from the general enjoyment to be found. I suspect most will have a good time with this one, and even the film doesn’t ultimately impress, »
- Marc Eastman
Similar News ItemsThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Weekend Box Office Report: July 21-23, 2017 (From JoBlo. 23 July 2017, 12:08 PM, PDT)
- What Sets Christopher Nolan Apart From Other Blockbuster Directors (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Is Ben Affleck Done Playing Batman After Justice League? (From LRM Online. 21 July 2017, 11:42 AM, PDT)
Tom Hardy (I)
- ‘Dunkirk’ Scores Biggest Opening Of The Year In The UK (From The Hollywood News. 24 July 2017, 3:14 AM, PDT)
- Dunkirk scores $106 million global opening, but Valerian flops hard (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2017, 2:38 PM, PDT)
- Harry Styles Dunkirk Security Detail Beefed Up To Fend Off Ravenous Girls (From TheImproper.com. 23 July 2017, 10:48 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Pamela Adlon joins the Transformers spin-off, Bumblebee (From The AV Club. 22 July 2017, 2:53 PM, PDT)
- Transformers: Michael Dorn and more join animated series (From Den of Geek. 19 July 2017, 11:52 PM, PDT)
- Peter Cullen Joins The Second Chapter of The Prime Wars Trilogy: Titan Returns (From LRM Online. 19 July 2017, 6:57 PM, PDT)