We live in a society where the oldies are taking over. By 2018, older people will outnumber children for the first time. Over the next 30 years the number of over-65s is forecast to almost double, from 506 million in 2008 to 1.3 billion. And if you’ve turned on your TV in the past decade, you’ll have noticed that the ad men having let this fact slip by them.
Magazines, movies and music may still be obsessed with the cult of youth, but increasingly adverts are being aimed at the elderly, and with good reason. As well as creating ads for more products aimed at older customers, advertisers are bucking the youth-oriented trend, and switching the glowing supermodels for wrinkles, and featuring the elderly in their ads.
Usually done with a good dose of humour, it’s had a surprising effect on the way we view old people, challenging the stereotypes, and »
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Comic-Con 2014 Schedule for Saturday, July 26th (From MovieWeb. 12 July 2014, 11:52 AM, PDT)
- Binge Saturday: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (From TVGuide - Breaking News. 12 July 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Emmy Breakdown: See What Each TV Show Is Nominated For (From BuzzSugar. 11 July 2014, 3:15 PM, PDT)
Betty White (I)
- TV News: 2014 Emmy Award Nominations Announced (From HollywoodChicago.com. 10 July 2014, 6:47 PM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2014 Schedule for Thursday, July 24th (From MovieWeb. 10 July 2014, 11:44 AM, PDT)
- 2014 Emmy Nominations Include The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story (From DailyDead. 10 July 2014, 9:59 AM, PDT)
- What to Watch: Tonight's TV Picks - House of Cards, T in the Park (From Digital Spy - TV news. 12 July 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Dave Legeno, Harry Potter actor and Mma star, dies aged 50 (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 11 July 2014, 10:43 AM, PDT)
- Danny Dyer takes one in the canister in The Hooligan Factory cameo (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 11 July 2014, 1:44 AM, PDT)