Los Angeles — The Sundance Film Festival has an apparent record lineup of female directors competing for its top honor this January.
Half the entries – eight of the 16 films – announced Wednesday in the festival's U.S. dramatic competition were directed by women for the next installment of Robert Redford's independent-cinema showcase, which runs Jan. 17-27 in Park City, Utah.
Going back to 1992, the best showing previously for female filmmakers was in 2000, when six of the 16 U.S. dramatic contenders were directed by women.
Sundance organizers were still trolling back to the early years of the festival's 33-year history, but this January's eight competition films appears to be most ever from women and the first time the entries have been evenly split between female and male directors.
Similar News ItemsDaniel Radcliffe
- Meme: Tom Daley Talks To Jonathan Ross, “Hunting Season” Gets a Second Season, “Same Love” Up For Song of the Year At The Grammy Awards (From The Backlot. 7 December 2013, 7:27 PM, PST)
- Kill Your Darlings – review | Mark Kermode (From The Guardian - Film News. 7 December 2013, 4:08 PM, PST)
- This Ain't California, Nebraska, Frozen: what to see at the cinema this week (From The Guardian - Film News. 6 December 2013, 10:00 PM, PST)
- The Best of Popsugartv This Week (From Popsugar. 8 December 2013, 1:52 AM, PST)
- Beauty Police: Jessica Biel Rocks Casually Chic Makeup and "I Just Got Out of Bed With Justin" Hair (From E! Online. 6 December 2013, 1:28 PM, PST)
- Jessica Biel 'Definitely' Wants to Have Kids with Justin Timberlake (From PEOPLE.com. 6 December 2013, 8:10 AM, PST)
Kristen Bell (I)
- Second Opinion - Frozen (2013) (From Flickeringmyth. 8 December 2013, 1:42 AM, PST)
- Frozen Clip 'Let It Go' Performed by Idina Menzel (From MovieWeb. 7 December 2013, 8:52 AM, PST)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Tops Friday Box Office as Frozen Looks for Weekend Box Office Win (From Upcoming-Movies.com. 7 December 2013, 6:09 AM, PST)