There are few forms of journalism more entertaining than a really good bad review. But it has to be done right: here's how
Among the terrible reviews of Liz and Dick, this week – "stunningly cynical" (TV Guide), "unbearably hilarious" (Hollywood Reporter), "badly paced, cheap-looking and encrusted with a tinkly, preposterous soundtrack designed to make viewers go insane" (Huffington Post) – none was quite brutal enough to ascend to that category of criticism that sweeps the internet now and then, and warms the darkest recess of the heart: the magisterial takedown.
(David Wiegand in the San Francisco Chronicle gave it his best shot with "It's so terrible, you'll need to ice your face when it's over to ease the pain of wincing for two hours." but there wasn't quite enough artistry in his bitching.)
No. For a negative review really to fly, it must meet five broad criteria.
1. Have about it the »
- Emma Brockes
Similar News ItemsAlec Baldwin
- 20 Things You Can Do With Your Time Now That the "What Do You Mean" Countdown Is Over (From E! Online. 28 August 2015, 11:23 AM, PDT)
- 14 cartoon movie spinoffs you forgot existed: The good, the bad and the just plain weird (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 August 2015, 10:30 AM, PDT)
- The underappreciated films of Jesse Eisenberg (From Den of Geek. 27 August 2015, 8:16 AM, PDT)
- Armie Hammer joins Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal in Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 30 August 2015, 3:45 AM, PDT)
- Armie Hammer Joins The All-Star Cast Of Nocturnal Animals (From We Got This Covered. 29 August 2015, 3:15 AM, PDT)
- Armie Hammer Joins Tom Ford’s ‘Nocturnal Animals’ (From Deadline. 28 August 2015, 2:07 PM, PDT)
- New York Film Festival Adds Documentary Dozen, Poitras Targets Assange (From Thompson on Hollywood. 24 August 2015, 12:06 PM, PDT)
- New York Film Festival to Premiere Latest Documentary from ‘Citizenfour’ Oscar Winner (From Variety - Film News. 24 August 2015, 12:05 PM, PDT)
- Nyff Announces Spotlight on Documentary Lineup (From Filmmaker Magazine. 24 August 2015, 11:53 AM, PDT)