The holiday weekend started off strong, and harnessed the power of two blockbuster movies to crush the Thanksgiving box office record. With "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2" and "Skyfall" at the helm, the total domestic box office steered past $288 million, handily beating the 2009 record of $268 million.
"Breaking Dawn" was No. 1 the entire weekend, beating the film franchise' own second weekend record with $43 million brought in between Friday and Sunday. The final chapter in the Summit Entertainment series has grossed a total $577 million worldwide in two weeks.
"Skyfall" is now the first 007 film to break $200 million at the domestic box office. The film's total for the holiday weekend was $51 million, brining the worldwide gross to more than $700 million.
"Lincoln" continued to delight with higher grosses than expected, raking in $34 million for the weekend and bringing its three-week total to $62 million.
"Rise of the Guardians" was a disappointment, coming »
Similar News ItemsThe Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)
- Dan Stevens Boards Beauty And The Beast (From We Got This Covered. 4 March 2015, 10:01 PM, PST)
- Dan Stevens in Talks to Play the Beast Opposite Emma Watson in Disney’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ (From The Wrap. 4 March 2015, 6:04 PM, PST)
- Luke Evans To Star Opposite Emma Watson In Disney’s Beauty And The Beast (From We Got This Covered. 4 March 2015, 1:45 PM, PST)
Summit Entertainment [us]
- 9 'Insurgent' Posters Announce Special Advanced Screening (From MovieWeb. 4 March 2015, 5:33 PM, PST)
- See new Insurgent teaser: It's time for Shailene Woodley to fight back (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 4 March 2015, 12:00 PM, PST)
- New Song By M83 And Haim Featured On Insurgent: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 2 March 2015, 12:40 PM, PST)
Life of Pi (2012)
- Steve Martin Plays The Game In ‘Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk’ (From The Hollywood News. 4 March 2015, 4:30 AM, PST)
- Amitabh Bachchan’s ‘Piku’ Set For Global Release (From Variety - Film News. 3 March 2015, 4:23 AM, PST)
- Irrfan Khan: 'I spend more than what I earn in Hollywood' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 March 2015, 3:55 PM, PST)