The film star Dinah Sheridan, who played the mother in The Railway Children, has died. Sheridan, 92, who also starred in the 1953 film comedy Genevieve, died peacefully at her home in Northwood, Middlesex on Sunday surrounded by her family, said her agent Gareth Owen.
Sheridan, the mother of actor Jenny Hanley and politician Sir Jeremy Hanley, was considered the quintessential English rose because of her elegance and understated beauty.
She was born Dinah Nadyejda Ginsburg in Hampstead, north London, in 1920 to a Russian father and German mother who were photographers to the royal family. Her first stage role came at the age of 12 and she subsequently went on tour as Wendy in Peter Pan which starred Charles Laughton as Captain Hook. Her film break came shortly and she appeared in such films as »
Similar News ItemsCharles Laughton
- The Mystery of Kinka Usher (From FilmSchoolRejects. 23 April 2017, 9:51 AM, PDT)
- Feud Recap: The Mother 'Load' (From TVLine.com. 19 March 2017, 8:04 PM, PDT)
- Peter Travers on Bill Paxton: A Modest Actor of Immodest Gifts (From Rolling Stone. 27 February 2017, 8:44 AM, PST)
The Railway Children (1970)
- Deddie Davies obituary (From The Guardian - TV News. 2 January 2017, 7:14 AM, PST)
- Railway Children actor Deddie Davies dies aged 78 (From The Guardian - Film News. 21 December 2016, 12:22 PM, PST)
- Railway Children actor Deddie Davies dies aged 78 (From The Guardian - TV News. 21 December 2016, 12:22 PM, PST)
- No Highway in the Sky (From Trailers from Hell. 21 January 2017, 10:26 AM, PST)
- Review: "Man In The Moon' (1960) Starring Kenneth Moore And Shirley Anne Field UK DVD Release From Network (From CinemaRetro. 30 October 2016, 6:43 AM, PDT)
- Scott of the Antarctic (From Trailers from Hell. 10 July 2016, 3:00 PM, PDT)