Actor who found fame as the machiavellian Texan oilman in Us soap dies in Dallas hospital after battle against throat cancer
Larry Hagman, who played one of television's most infamous villains – the amoral oil tycoon Jr Ewing – in the longrunning soap Dallas, has died at the age of 81.
The actor's family confirmed his death after the Dallas Morning News reported Hagman had died of complications from throat cancer in hospital in the city on Friday. He had suffered from liver cancer and cirrhosis of the liver in the 1990s after decades of drinking.
But it was his role as the machiavellian oilman Jr Ewing in Dallas that made Hagman an international star. The soap, which ran for 13 seasons »
- David Batty
Similar News ItemsLarry King (I)
- 'True Detective' creator Nic Pizzolatto talks season 1 (From Hitfix. 9 March 2014, 10:19 PM, PDT)
- 'Yellow King Theory': Watch the Web's Funniest True Detective Parodies (From PEOPLE.com. 9 March 2014, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Your Guide to Everything You Need to Know and Watch Before Tonight's 'True Detective' Finale (From Indiewire Television. 9 March 2014, 11:21 AM, PDT)
- Most-Watched Oscars in 14 Years, Return of ‘Scandal’ Power ABC to Weekly Victory (From Variety - TV News. 5 March 2014, 5:40 AM, PST)
- Petitioners Want Death of ‘Midnight Rider’ Crew Member Acknowledged on Oscar Night (From FilmSchoolRejects. 26 February 2014, 9:38 PM, PST)
- Dallas: Season Three Ratings (From TVSeriesFinale. 26 February 2014, 11:03 AM, PST)
Linda Gray (I)
- 'Dallas' Season 3, episode 3: Many Ewings do much 'Playing Chicken' (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 10 March 2014, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- 'Dallas' Season 3, episode 2 -- 'Trust Me': Ryland's mother plays tough with drug cartel (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 3 March 2014, 7:05 PM, PST)
- 'Dallas' fashion continues to be 'very aspirational, larger than life' (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 3 March 2014, 12:00 PM, PST)