It'd be a foolish bet to put money on where Steven Soderbergh's career is going next. Soderbergh's "problem" is that he seems to be good: Magic Mike, a tale of male strippers, comes after a star-studded disease thriller (Contagion) and a female-fronted action movie (Haywire). His next is, obviously, a TV movie about Liberace (seriously, it is).
Magic Mike also rounds off a critically and financially successful year for Channing Tatum, after the ultra-manipualtive tear-fest The Vow and the excellent comedy 21 Jump Street. This movie is loosely based on Tatum's time in dance revue shows in Tampa, so the routines are authentic; but it's not quite Hen Night: The Movie, although it could serve as such.
It's closer to The Wrestler than it is to Showgirls, although thankfully not anywhere near as grim as either. Soderbergh takes »
- Phelim O'Neill
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Jeff Timmons -- 'Men of the Strip' is Back ... We're Coming for You, Channing! (From TMZ. 24 October 2016, 12:35 AM, PDT)
- Ellen DeGeneres Sends Her "Average" Producer to Learn How to Dance Like Magic Mike (From Popsugar. 21 October 2016, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- Jennifer Grey Reveals the Actors She’d Cast as Baby and Johnny in a Dirty Dancing Remake (From PEOPLE.com. 19 October 2016, 4:27 PM, PDT)
- Matthew McConaughey to Be Honored at the Napa Valley Film Fest (From Variety - Film News. 24 October 2016, 2:33 PM, PDT)
- Fall 2016’s Most Anticipated Films (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 October 2016, 2:06 PM, PDT)
- From Horror to Hollywood: The Most Famous Victims of the Horror Genre (From The Hollywood News. 23 October 2016, 10:03 PM, PDT)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- Andrew Garfield on the upside of not being Spider-Man (From Den of Geek. 24 October 2016, 10:28 PM, PDT)
- Why Andrew Garfield Is Glad Amazing Spider-Man 3 Didn't Happen (From MovieWeb. 24 October 2016, 3:10 PM, PDT)
- First Two Clips For Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge Find Andrew Garfield On The Front Lines (From We Got This Covered. 24 October 2016, 2:26 PM, PDT)