The organisers of the Academy Awards are po-faced about comedy, so a dose of screwball humanism is just what they need
"Imagine there's no heaven," sang John Lennon. "It's easy if you try."
Imagine a world with no Marx Brothers films, no Ginger Rogers or Fred Astaire. A world in which Cary Grant was never born and Preston Sturges is just a rumor. Dutifully, the populace trudge beneath skies the color of porridge towards box-like movie theatres, where they consume their weekly dollop of gloom, as served up in with movies like A Life of Emile Zola, Marty and Crash.
In this alternative universe, movie-going is a bit like going to the dentist, only without the laughing gas. Films that stand any chance of raising a smile have been expunged from the records, although you will occasionally hear talk among those old enough to remember of something called Some Like It Hot, »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- 5 reasons to see mother! (From Cineplex. 19 September 2017, 2:11 PM, PDT)
- Taking The 'High' Road: The Best Stoned Celebrity Confessions Ever (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lawrence Explains Mother to All the Haters (From MovieWeb. 19 September 2017, 11:16 AM, PDT)
- Matt Damon to star in and produce false claims doctor film Charlatan (From JoBlo. 19 September 2017, 3:06 PM, PDT)
- Matt Damon Tries to Get It Up As A ‘Charlatan’ (From The Playlist. 19 September 2017, 12:38 PM, PDT)
- Matt Damon to Star in, Produce Quack Doctor Film 'Charlatan' (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 19 September 2017, 11:56 AM, PDT)
- Akira Targets Thor: Ragnarok Director Taika Waititi (From MovieWeb. 19 September 2017, 7:31 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation Awards $20 Million in Environmental Grants (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2017, 6:39 PM, PDT)
- ‘Akira’ Finds New Life With ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Director Taika Waititi In Talks (From Slash Film. 19 September 2017, 5:53 PM, PDT)