The organisers of the Academy Awards are po-faced about comedy, so a dose of screwball humanism is just what they need
"Imagine there's no heaven," sang John Lennon. "It's easy if you try."
Imagine a world with no Marx Brothers films, no Ginger Rogers or Fred Astaire. A world in which Cary Grant was never born and Preston Sturges is just a rumor. Dutifully, the populace trudge beneath skies the color of porridge towards box-like movie theatres, where they consume their weekly dollop of gloom, as served up in with movies like A Life of Emile Zola, Marty and Crash.
In this alternative universe, movie-going is a bit like going to the dentist, only without the laughing gas. Films that stand any chance of raising a smile have been expunged from the records, although you will occasionally hear talk among those old enough to remember of something called Some Like It Hot, »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- Fox Releases New "X-Men: Apocalypse" Synopsis (From Dark Horizons. 8 October 2015, 10:03 PM, PDT)
- 9 Ways to Be Amy Schumer This Halloween (From Popsugar. 8 October 2015, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- Nicholas Hoult, Luke Evans and Henry Cavill To Start In Drama Sand Castle (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 8 October 2015, 4:29 PM, PDT)
- Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber Keep the Cute Moments Coming in Miami (From Popsugar. 8 October 2015, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- What if Alien's Ripley was a man? 6 great female roles that were written as male (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 8 October 2015, 7:28 AM, PDT)
- Cindy Crawford and Her Husband's Beach Bodies Prove Age Is Just a Number (From Popsugar. 7 October 2015, 10:05 AM, PDT)
- Steve Jobs’ Widow Tried to Stop the Movie; Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Speaks Out (From Slash Film. 8 October 2015, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio 'was urged to reject Steve Jobs biopic' (From National Ledger. 8 October 2015, 5:51 AM, PDT)
- Steve Jobs’s widow 'begged' DiCaprio and Bale not to take biopic role (From The Guardian - Film News. 8 October 2015, 2:59 AM, PDT)