The organisers of the Academy Awards are po-faced about comedy, so a dose of screwball humanism is just what they need
"Imagine there's no heaven," sang John Lennon. "It's easy if you try."
Imagine a world with no Marx Brothers films, no Ginger Rogers or Fred Astaire. A world in which Cary Grant was never born and Preston Sturges is just a rumor. Dutifully, the populace trudge beneath skies the color of porridge towards box-like movie theatres, where they consume their weekly dollop of gloom, as served up in with movies like A Life of Emile Zola, Marty and Crash.
In this alternative universe, movie-going is a bit like going to the dentist, only without the laughing gas. Films that stand any chance of raising a smile have been expunged from the records, although you will occasionally hear talk among those old enough to remember of something called Some Like It Hot, »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- 5 Ways to Be a Jennifer Lawrence Character For Halloween (From BuzzSugar. 29 September 2016, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- The Biggest Onstage Celebrity Falls and Mishaps That Will Make You Want to Laugh and Cry (From Popsugar. 28 September 2016, 12:22 PM, PDT)
- Viola Davis to star in Steve McQueen’s new film Widows (From Flickeringmyth. 28 September 2016, 1:20 AM, PDT)
- Everything That Has Happened Since Angelina Jolie Filed For Divorce From Brad Pitt (From Popsugar. 28 September 2016, 3:05 PM, PDT)
- New Video Essay Explores The Layered Brilliance Of ‘Michael Clayton’ (From The Playlist. 28 September 2016, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- Woody Harrelson to make directorial debut in London (From The Guardian - Film News. 28 September 2016, 3:22 AM, PDT)
- All Time Greatest Movies About Money (From AreYouScreening. 29 September 2016, 11:14 AM, PDT)
- ‘Before the Flood’ Trailer: Leonardo DiCaprio’s Urgent Environmental Doc Takes Politicians to Task (From Indiewire. 28 September 2016, 9:05 AM, PDT)
- Coming Distractions: The trailer for Leonardo DiCaprio’s climate change documentary is here to bum you out (From The AV Club. 28 September 2016, 8:56 AM, PDT)