The organisers of the Academy Awards are po-faced about comedy, so a dose of screwball humanism is just what they need
"Imagine there's no heaven," sang John Lennon. "It's easy if you try."
Imagine a world with no Marx Brothers films, no Ginger Rogers or Fred Astaire. A world in which Cary Grant was never born and Preston Sturges is just a rumor. Dutifully, the populace trudge beneath skies the color of porridge towards box-like movie theatres, where they consume their weekly dollop of gloom, as served up in with movies like A Life of Emile Zola, Marty and Crash.
In this alternative universe, movie-going is a bit like going to the dentist, only without the laughing gas. Films that stand any chance of raising a smile have been expunged from the records, although you will occasionally hear talk among those old enough to remember of something called Some Like It Hot, »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- Film Review: 'Nebraska' (From CineVue. 5 December 2013, 2:35 AM, PST)
- Big Kahuna Burger Returns in From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series Set Photo (From MovieWeb. 4 December 2013, 4:57 PM, PST)
- George Clooney's The Monuments Men unveils new trailer - watch (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 4 December 2013, 8:30 AM, PST)
Jennifer Lawrence (III)
- Team Fyc: Tye Sheridan for Best Actor (From FilmExperience. 5 December 2013, 5:01 AM, PST)
- Dennis O’Neil’s Tales From Texas (From Comicmix. 5 December 2013, 5:00 AM, PST)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire holds on to top spot at the UK box office (From Flickeringmyth. 5 December 2013, 3:00 AM, PST)
- Us National Board of Review announces 2013 winners (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 5 December 2013, 4:51 AM, PST)
- Oscars 2014: Who Is Winning The Best Actor Race? (From Obsessed with Film. 5 December 2013, 1:46 AM, PST)
- 5 Awesome Comics You Must Read This Week (4 December) (From Obsessed with Film. 5 December 2013, 1:08 AM, PST)