The organisers of the Academy Awards are po-faced about comedy, so a dose of screwball humanism is just what they need
"Imagine there's no heaven," sang John Lennon. "It's easy if you try."
Imagine a world with no Marx Brothers films, no Ginger Rogers or Fred Astaire. A world in which Cary Grant was never born and Preston Sturges is just a rumor. Dutifully, the populace trudge beneath skies the color of porridge towards box-like movie theatres, where they consume their weekly dollop of gloom, as served up in with movies like A Life of Emile Zola, Marty and Crash.
In this alternative universe, movie-going is a bit like going to the dentist, only without the laughing gas. Films that stand any chance of raising a smile have been expunged from the records, although you will occasionally hear talk among those old enough to remember of something called Some Like It Hot, »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- SXSW Film Review: ‘Kelly & Cal’ (From Variety - Film News. 7 March 2014, 9:20 PM, PST)
- First Look: Robert Pattinson and Dane DeHaan in Anton Corbijn's Life (From JoBlo. 7 March 2014, 2:22 PM, PST)
- Isaiah Washington, Steve Carell, Jamie Dornan and 10 Other Stars Who Have Reprised Their Famous TV Roles (From E! Online. 7 March 2014, 12:59 PM, PST)
Jennifer Lawrence (III)
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night (From EW.com - PopWatch. 8 March 2014, 10:24 AM, PST)
- Celebrate International Women's Day with These Charitable and Stylish Gifts! (From E! Online. 8 March 2014, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Cute Pairs Star in This Week's Can't-Miss Shots! (From Popsugar. 8 March 2014, 5:44 AM, PST)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Leads a Boom in Palm Springs Real Estate (From The Hollywood Reporter. 8 March 2014, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Basketball Diaries Director Scott Kalvert Dead at 49, Possible Suicide (From Worst Previews. 8 March 2014, 4:51 AM, PST)
- Scott Kalvert, Basketball Diaries Director, Dies at 49 (From Us Weekly. 8 March 2014, 2:01 AM, PST)