Dresden Pictures has acquired the UK rights to Japanese war story "Grave of the Fireflies" with plans to develop a live-action feature adaptation.
Akiyuki Nosaka's 1967 semi-autobiographical novel is set during and after the firebombing of Kobe, Japan in 1945. It follows the struggle of two orphaned Japanese children – 14 year-old Seita and his four year-old sister, Setsuko – during World War II.
The story is best known to worldwide audiences for Studio Ghibli's 1988 animated feature film adaptation helmed by Isao Takahata, an acclaimed movie that film critics and historians often cite as one of the most powerful and devastating anti-war films ever made. Japanese broadcaster Ntv produced a live action telemovie in 2005.
The news comes a few days after the »
- Garth Franklin
Similar News ItemsStudio Ghibli [jp]
- China Film Group, Dragoia Media, Movistar Plus, Atresmedia Cine Team on ‘Dragonkeeper’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 20 April 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- A Brief History of Studio Ghibli (From FilmSchoolRejects. 19 April 2017, 11:01 AM, PDT)
- ‘Apocalypse Child’ Sees Beauty and Pain Both Above and Below (From FilmSchoolRejects. 18 April 2017, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘In This Corner of the World’ (Kono sekai no katasumi ni) (From Variety - Film News. 28 February 2017, 1:48 PM, PST)
- Rogue One Dominates the New Year's Box Office with $49M (From MovieWeb. 2 January 2017, 11:09 AM, PST)
- Studio Ghibli’s ‘Ocean Waves’ Has Aged Around The Edges, But Remains A Poignant Affair [Review] (From The Playlist. 30 December 2016, 7:16 AM, PST)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
- NYC Weekend Watch: Sci-Fi Essentials, British New Wave, Cross-Dressing & More (From The Film Stage. 23 March 2017, 7:19 PM, PDT)
- ‘My Life as a Zucchini’ Director Claude Barras on Tackling Taboos, Facing a Crisis, and His Favorite Animations (From The Film Stage. 23 February 2017, 1:13 PM, PST)
- Why the future’s bright for anime (From Den of Geek. 2 February 2017, 9:09 AM, PST)