I can't determine whether it's a sign of little interest or high expenses that caused 20th Century Fox to cancel its plans to re-release Roland Emmerich's first end of the world FX extravaganza, 1996's Independence Day, in 3D. That's just what the movie studio has done, scuttling plans to post-convert the 16 year old sci-fi/action film into 3D and release it to theaters on July 3, 2013.
Maybe Fox doesn't believe that the first blockbuster to star Will Smith will make all that much at the box office, even if it was positioned to take advantage of the long holiday weekend that the film is titled after. Or maybe the $10-15 million dollars that it would likely cost to create Independence Day 3D wouldn't be a good gamble to take. Box office returns on 3D post-converted re-releases of aged blockbusters don't seem to produce red hot grosses.
But if that is »
- Patrick Sauriol
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Review: Marvel Has Finally Started To Figure Out The Future Of Superhero Movies (From Indiewire. 29 June 2017, 5:59 AM, PDT)
- Game of Thrones Star Emilia Clarke Says Sexism in Hollywood Is Like 'Dealing with Racism' (From PEOPLE.com. 29 June 2017, 5:09 AM, PDT)
- Are we suffering from Dwayne Johnson franchise fatigue? (From Flickeringmyth. 29 June 2017, 4:50 AM, PDT)
Independence Day (1996)
- 9 Celebrity Couples Who Tied the Knot on the Fourth of July (From Popsugar. 28 June 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- The Biggest and Best July Fourth Sales Happening This Weekend (From PEOPLE.com. 28 June 2017, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lopez, Sheryl Crow and Charlie Puth Join Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular (From hollywoodreporter_tv. 27 June 2017, 4:22 PM, PDT)
- Isaac Asimov’s Foundation could be heading to the small screen (From Flickeringmyth. 29 June 2017, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- First Sharknado 5: Global Swarming Teaser Trailer Targets The World’s Most Famous Monuments (From We Got This Covered. 15 June 2017, 9:09 AM, PDT)
- As Trump Withdraws from The Paris Agreement, Al Gore Just Became the Biggest Movie Star of the Summer (From Indiewire. 2 June 2017, 9:30 AM, PDT)