Again this week, I'm double-posting a major review to permit your comments, which my main site can't accept--although they'll be added to our redesign, soon to be unveiled.
Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" is a miraculous achievement of storytelling and a landmark of visual mastery. Inspired by a worldwide best-seller that many readers must have assumed was unfilmable, it is a triumph over its difficulties. It is also a moving spiritual achievement, a movie whose title could have been shortened to "life."
The story involves the 227 days that its teenage hero spends drifting across the Pacific in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger. They find themselves in the same boat after an amusing and colorful prologue, which in itself could have been enlarged into an exciting family film. Then it expands into a parable of survival, acceptance and adaptation. I imagine even Yann Martel, the novel's French-Canadian author, must be »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsLife of Pi (2012)
- Watch: How George Miller Made 'Mad Max: Fury Road' (Exclusive) (From Thompson on Hollywood. 25 November 2015, 12:37 PM, PST)
- Composers Mychael Danna And Jeff Danna Utilize Alternative World Music Instruments For The Good Dinosaur Score (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 23 November 2015, 5:19 PM, PST)
- India Ministers Reveal Ambitious Plans For Single Window Clearance (From Variety - Film News. 23 November 2015, 1:02 AM, PST)
- Irrfan Khan to play writer Manto in Nandita Das next (From BollywoodHungama. 28 November 2015, 7:37 AM, PST)
- Ridhima Sud to act opposite Irrfan Khan (From BollywoodHungama. 27 November 2015, 8:16 AM, PST)
- Rehman, Arora, Shome bite for Singh’s 'Scorpions' (From ScreenDaily. 22 November 2015, 6:00 PM, PST)
- DVD: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Missing Pimp (From FilmExperience. 10 November 2015, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Gaumont Steps Into Nicloux’s ‘The Wandering’ With Gerard Depardieu (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 6 November 2015, 6:51 AM, PST)
- 25 great movie performances by actors in multiple roles (From Den of Geek. 5 November 2015, 1:41 PM, PST)