"House" star Hugh Laurie may soon return to television, playing another roguish character: the legendary pirate Blackbeard.
Laurie is in negotiations to star in NBC's upcoming series "Crossbones," according to reports in the Hollywood trades. The six-time Emmy nominee would play Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard, who ruled over the pirates, thieves and ne'er-do-wells on the Bahamian island of New Providence in the early 1700s. Think "Deadwood," but with boats, and with Laurie as Al Swearengen.
The role would be Laurie's first TV gig since "House" ended earlier this year after eight seasons on Fox. It would also continue his relationship with Universal Television, which produced "House" and is co-producing "Crossbones."
"Luther" creator Neil Cross is writing and executive producing "Crossbones," which is based on author Colin Woodard's book "The Republic of Pirates." NBC gave the show a 10-episode order last spring, but Laurie is the first actor attached to the project. »
Similar News ItemsHugh Laurie
- Fry & Laurie's Sherlock, Gavin & Stacey Us: 5 shows axed before they aired (From Digital Spy - TV news. 4 July 2014, 5:21 AM, PDT)
- Five actors you didn't know were funny (From Cineplex. 29 June 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Q&A: Nigel Lythgoe and Tom Bergeron on the State of Reality TV (From Variety - TV News. 16 June 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- TV News: 2014 Emmy Award Nominations Announced (From HollywoodChicago.com. 10 July 2014, 6:47 PM, PDT)
- 2014 Emmy Nominations Include The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story (From DailyDead. 10 July 2014, 9:59 AM, PDT)
- The 2014 Emmy Award Nominations (From Dark Horizons. 10 July 2014, 8:28 AM, PDT)
Universal Television [gb]
- Fox Officially Greenlights Pilot of Tina Fey/Matt Hubbard Comedy (From Variety - TV News. 23 December 2013, 3:54 PM, PST)
- Tina Fey Fox Comedy Gets Pilot Green Light, Pamela Fryman to Direct (From The Wrap. 23 December 2013, 3:32 PM, PST)
- Fox’s Matt Hubbard/Tina Fey Comedy Gets Pilot Order With Pam Fryman Directing (From Deadline TV. 23 December 2013, 12:14 PM, PST)