Select box set reviews from The Associated Press:
Johnny Cash, "The Complete Columbia Album Collection" (Columbia/Legacy)
If you're under 40, you likely see Johnny Cash two ways – as the nearly mythological Sun Records proto-rocker and as the wizened old man staring down God in his American Recordings period in the years before his 2003 death.
Between those two important periods lay decades of songs, personalities and re-inventions many folks aren't familiar with. The massive new box set, "The Complete Columbia Album Collection," will help fill in those gaps for anyone interested in Cash beyond the name-checking cachet he brings to your iPod.
A staggering amount of music is gathered here in 63 discs representing a quarter century of output from an American popular culture icon whose career was far more Technicolor than his Man in Black nickname suggests. And the average music fan yet to turn grey has no idea what that »
Similar News ItemsMichael Jackson (I)
- Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury duet on new Queen comp: Listen (From Hitfix. 19 September 2014, 8:47 AM, PDT)
- Listen to Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury’s Unreleased Early ’80s Duet (From Vulture. 19 September 2014, 6:50 AM, PDT)
- Alki David Insists Hitler Photo Not Intended as a Threat in Michael Jackson Hologram Lawsuit (From The Wrap. 18 September 2014, 6:53 PM, PDT)
- Book Review: 'Showrunners: The Art Of Running Of A TV Show' Takes A Look At A Misunderstood Job (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle' and more (From EW.com - Inside TV. 19 September 2014, 1:11 PM, PDT)
- Will 'The Leftovers' be main course at the Emmys? (From Gold Derby. 19 September 2014, 10:44 AM, PDT)
- Brian Grazer Shares Career Tips With French Producers at Deauville Fest (From Variety - Film News. 13 September 2014, 1:36 PM, PDT)
- The 6 most memorable moments from 'The Simpsons' Hollywood Bowl concert (From EW.com - PopWatch. 13 September 2014, 10:31 AM, PDT)
- Deauville: Brian Grazer Honored Before European Premiere of 'Get on Up' (From The Hollywood Reporter. 13 September 2014, 8:03 AM, PDT)