The oddest thing about Cinema Komunisto, Mira Turajlik's fascinating history of Yugoslavian cinema between the second world War and the death of Josip Tito, is the degree to which those who lived through his reign still venerate, indeed adore their late dictator. Perhaps this is unsurprising: Tito's 35 years in power now seem like a golden plateau of peace between two hellish abysses of exterminatory inter-ethnic chauvinism.
Yugoslavia broke early with Stalin and thereafter remained "unaligned", presenting a Janus-face to east and west, a hybrid "communist paradise" in which a wholesale cult of Tito's personality and a cinema of nationalist propaganda sat cheek by jowl with imported Hollywood movies and western holiday-makers splashing happily in the Adriatic. Tito's totalitarianism wasn't altogether Total.
Tito loved the movies, especially westerns, according to his devoted projectionist, interviewed here. »
- John Patterson
Similar News ItemsRichard Burton (I)
- Top 200 Most Anticipated Films for 2014: #62. Todd Field’s Beautiful Ruins (From ioncinema. 26 February 2014, 5:30 AM, PST)
- 10 Days Til Oscar. Sigh and Think of Paul Newman. (From FilmExperience. 20 February 2014, 1:36 PM, PST)
- Paramount Makes First-Look Deal With ‘The Departed’ Scribe William Monahan (From Deadline New York. 18 February 2014, 9:36 AM, PST)
John Patterson (III)
- Lift To The Scaffold is a glittering jewel of 50s French film-making (From The Guardian - Film News. 2 February 2014, 11:50 PM, PST)
- Shia Labeouf 'retiring from all public life' (From The Guardian - Film News. 10 January 2014, 7:20 AM, PST)
- Cinema Paradiso – watch the classic Italian film on demand (From The Guardian - Film News. 13 December 2013, 9:09 AM, PST)
Cinema Komunisto (2010)
- A stable start for Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! (From The Guardian - Film News. 27 November 2012, 7:39 AM, PST)
- This week's new films (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 November 2012, 4:04 PM, PST)
- The HeyUGuys Cinema Release Round-up: 23rd November (From HeyUGuys. 23 November 2012, 7:41 AM, PST)