One of this fall's big programming events wasn't actually broadcast on TV. Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, a live-action series geared toward the launch of the new Xbox 360 video game, has become a hit for YouTube, where it runs on the young male-oriented Machinima Prime channel.
YouTube is taking on the traditional TV model in a big way, with the help of major stars, original programs like Halo 4 and big events like Felix Baumgartner's space jump, which broke YouTube user records on Oct. 14. A year after YouTube parent Google unleashed an aggressive $100 million initiative to launch around 100 original programming channels (and committed $200 million to market the channels), viewership on the platform was up 11 percent year-to-year in September.
It's a slow build, and so far YouTube's original programming initiative hasn't produced a hit that was big enough to enter the public consciousness. But according to newly released comScore data, YouTube »
- Michael Schneider
Similar News Items"Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn" (2012)
- Halo Legends set for VOD release this month, watch the trailer here (From Flickeringmyth. 8 July 2017, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Halo: Legends Launches Worldwide on VOD (From Cinelinx. 7 July 2017, 12:58 PM, PDT)
- Justin Lin rebooting Knight Rider for Machinima (From Flickeringmyth. 25 October 2016, 11:30 PM, PDT)
Felix Baumgartner (I)
- Meet Luke Aikins, The Man Who’s Going to Jump Out of a Plane With Just the Clothes on His Back (From Indiewire. 28 July 2016, 10:47 AM, PDT)
- Meet Luke Aikins, The Man Who’s Going to Jump Out of a Plane With Just the Clothes on His Back (From Indiewire Television. 28 July 2016, 10:47 AM, PDT)
- Meet the Husband and Father Who's Skydiving from 25,000 Feet Without a Parachute (From PEOPLE.com. 26 July 2016, 10:25 AM, PDT)