Composer who scored nearly every Merchant Ivory film from The Europeans onwards and was an integral part of the brand
The Guinness Book of Records notes that the 44-year collaboration between the Indian producer Ismail Merchant and the American director James Ivory was the longest in the history of cinema. They might equally have added the screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, who joined the duo from the start. And a member of Merchant Ivory Productions for almost as long was the composer Richard Robbins, who has died after suffering from Parkinson's disease, aged 71.
The Ivory-Robbins working partnership, which lasted over three decades, outdid in longevity such celebrated director-composer unions as Federico Fellini-Nino Rota, Michelangelo Antonioni-Giovanni Fusco and Alfred Hitchcock-Bernard Herrmann. Robbins scored nearly every Merchant Ivory production from The Europeans (1979) onwards, and was an integral part of the film company's brand.
The reason for the »
- Ronald Bergan
Similar News ItemsAlfred Hitchcock (I)
- They Live by Night (From Trailers from Hell. 23 June 2017, 1:55 PM, PDT)
- Matt Reeves will take influence from Alfred Hitchcock for ‘The Batman’ (From The Hollywood News. 23 June 2017, 12:51 AM, PDT)
- More Gay Stars and Directors and Screenwriters on TCM: From psychos and psychiatrists to surfers and stage mamas (From Alt Film Guide. 22 June 2017, 6:51 PM, PDT)
- ‘Le Trou’ Trailer: Jacques Becker’s Nerve-Wracking Prison Break Drama Gets a Stunning Restoration — Watch (From Indiewire. 20 June 2017, 9:14 AM, PDT)
- Roberto Rossellini’s War Trilogy (From Trailers from Hell. 19 June 2017, 3:26 PM, PDT)
- ‘The Graduate’ at 50: Sex, Alienation and Comedy Made Mike Nichols Film a Classic (From Variety - Film News. 19 June 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Wong Kar-wai to Receive 2017 Lumiere Award (From Variety - Film News. 19 June 2017, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- Mirovision to produce remake of EuropaCorp’s 'Big Picture' (From ScreenDaily. 19 June 2017, 3:02 AM, PDT)
- Gaya Jiji's 'Belle de Jour'-inspired 'My Favourite Fabric' begins shoot (From ScreenDaily. 14 June 2017, 12:54 AM, PDT)