This year's Paralympics in London did an extraordinary amount to change attitudes to disabled people. But cinema has been doing its bit too.
In March, Untouchable, the story of the relationship between a quadriplegic and his carer, became the highest-grossing film ever in a language other than English. It's now taken nearly £250m on a production budget of £7m, topping the box office charts in countries ranging from Switzerland and Spain to Germany and South Korea. It has also been selected as the French entry for the foreign-language Oscar.
A hot competitor for that honour was Rust and Bone, in which Marion Cotillard plays a double amputee. The film is still performing healthily in Britain's arthouses after winning the top prize at the London film festival.
The point »
- David Cox
Similar News ItemsJames Cameron (I)
- James Cameron Planning New 'Terminator' With 'Deadpool' Director (From Movies.com. 23 January 2017, 1:30 PM, PST)
- Neill Blomkamp Doesn’t Think His ‘Alien’ Movie Will Get Made (From The Playlist. 23 January 2017, 10:17 AM, PST)
- Can James Cameron switch Terminator back on? (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 January 2017, 9:38 AM, PST)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
- James Mangold Talks Logan at 20th Century Fox’s Genre Showcase, Read Our Impressions of the First 42 Minutes (From DailyDead. 23 January 2017, 9:52 AM, PST)
- *Update* Logan Takes Place In A Completely Different Universe From Any Other X-men Film! (From LRM Online. 23 January 2017, 6:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Split’ Review: What The What?! (From TheHDRoom. 20 January 2017, 6:55 PM, PST)
- Newswire: The Razzies assert their continued relevance by making fun of Zoolander 2 (From The AV Club. 23 January 2017, 12:10 PM, PST)
- 2017 Razzies Nominations Announced, 'Zoolander 2' Earns Most Nominations (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 January 2017, 9:43 AM, PST)
- Zoolander sequel & Batman vs Superman lead the nominations at the 2017 Razzies (From HeyUGuys. 23 January 2017, 8:26 AM, PST)