Julien's Auctions said the price for the blue and white pinafore the actor wore throughout the 1939 film was in line with estimates.
But it was well below the figures paid last year for costumes worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and a similar dress worn during tests for The Wizard of Oz, which fetched $910,000 in 2011. Auctioneer Darren Julien said the difference in price was due to the fact fewer versions of the test dress were made.
The buyer of the Garland dress, made by MGM costume designer Adrian, has not been identified.
Similar News ItemsPrince William Windsor
- Will and Kate Bring George Along For a Big Royal Tradition (From Popsugar. 18 December 2014, 11:20 AM, PST)
- Is This Prince George's Favorite Book? (From PEOPLE.com. 18 December 2014, 5:25 AM, PST)
- They're Having a Baby! 6 Best Pregnancy Announcements of 2014 (From Entertainment Tonight. 17 December 2014, 5:17 PM, PST)
- Casting Net: Pedro Pascal in talks for Great Wall movie (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 19 December 2014, 7:11 PM, PST)
- ‘Smash’ Marilyn Monroe Musical ‘Bombshell’ Comes to Broadway for One Night Benefit (From The Wrap. 18 December 2014, 9:27 PM, PST)
- News of the Century: "Bombshell" From Smash Is Happening. June 15th, 2015 (From FilmExperience. 18 December 2014, 10:40 AM, PST)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Ava DuVernay Has Multi-Episode TV Series on "Black Experience in America" in the Works (From ShadowAndAct. 20 December 2014, 7:37 AM, PST)
- Robert Duvall, Alejandro González Iñárritu to Be Honored at Palm Springs International Film Festival (From Manny the Movie Guy. 19 December 2014, 2:17 PM, PST)
- Robert Duvall and Alejandro Inarritu Added to Lineup of Palm Springs Honorees (From The Wrap. 19 December 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)