Julien's Auctions said the price for the blue and white pinafore the actor wore throughout the 1939 film was in line with estimates.
But it was well below the figures paid last year for costumes worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and a similar dress worn during tests for The Wizard of Oz, which fetched $910,000 in 2011. Auctioneer Darren Julien said the difference in price was due to the fact fewer versions of the test dress were made.
The buyer of the Garland dress, made by MGM costume designer Adrian, has not been identified.
Similar News ItemsPrince William Windsor
- Chelsea Clinton Channels Kate Middleton as She Leaves Hospital Holding Baby Charlotte—Take a Look! (From E! Online. 29 September 2014, 5:45 PM, PDT)
- Pregnant Kate Middleton to Resume Royal Duties Next Month—Get the Scoop! (From E! Online. 29 September 2014, 11:36 AM, PDT)
- Kate Middleton Is Headed Back to Work Despite Morning Sickness (From Popsugar. 29 September 2014, 8:04 AM, PDT)
- Emma Watson Will Continue to be Awesome in ‘Colonia’ (From FilmSchoolRejects. 29 September 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- That's Not Vintage Madonna. That's Current Marie Osmond. (From Hitfix. 26 September 2014, 1:19 PM, PDT)
- Malkovich Becomes Einstein, Marilyn, Picasso and Others in Funny, Creepy, Brilliant Photo Series (From Alt Film Guide. 25 September 2014, 4:34 PM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Musical Headed To Japan; Steve McQueen Set For European Film Academy Honor; More (From Deadline New York. 29 September 2014, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Steve McQueen to Receive European Film Academy Award (From ShockYa. 29 September 2014, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- 12 Years a Slave's Steve McQueen to receive European Film Award (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 29 September 2014, 7:25 AM, PDT)