Julien's Auctions said the price for the blue and white pinafore the actor wore throughout the 1939 film was in line with estimates.
But it was well below the figures paid last year for costumes worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and a similar dress worn during tests for The Wizard of Oz, which fetched $910,000 in 2011. Auctioneer Darren Julien said the difference in price was due to the fact fewer versions of the test dress were made.
The buyer of the Garland dress, made by MGM costume designer Adrian, has not been identified.
Similar News ItemsPrince William Windsor
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Stun at Easter Service in Sydney (From E! Online. 19 April 2014, 7:06 PM, PDT)
- William and Kate Celebrate Easter Sunday! (From Popsugar. 19 April 2014, 6:25 PM, PDT)
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Enjoy Rugby Match, Prince George Gets Another Marriage Proposal (From E! Online. 19 April 2014, 11:07 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Festival adds a dash of Italian glamour to its 2014 poster (From Hitfix. 15 April 2014, 11:13 AM, PDT)
- Marcello Mastroianni Brings Classic Cool To Poster For 67th Cannes Film Festival (From The Playlist. 15 April 2014, 6:03 AM, PDT)
- Cannes film festival goes for retro cool with Fellini poster (From The Guardian - Film News. 15 April 2014, 5:38 AM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- 87th Academy Awards Dates and Early Predictions: Another Streep? (From Alt Film Guide. 18 April 2014, 5:07 PM, PDT)
- 'Sorcerer' Blu-ray Review (From Rope Of Silicon. 18 April 2014, 11:07 AM, PDT)
- Podcast: Reviewing 'Transcendence', Talking Cannes, Playing Games and Your Questions (From Rope Of Silicon. 18 April 2014, 9:30 AM, PDT)