Los Angeles — James Bond's "Skyfall" has extended its worldwide box-office rule to North America, hauling in a franchise-record $87.8 million in its first weekend at U.S. theaters.
Adding in $2.2 million from Thursday night previews at IMAX and other large-format theaters, "Skyfall" has taken in $90 million domestically, according to studio estimates Sunday.
That lifts the worldwide total for "Skyfall" to $518.6 million since it began rolling out overseas in late October. Internationally, the 23rd Bond flick added $89 million this weekend to raise its overseas revenue to $428.6 million.
The third installment starring Daniel Craig as British super-spy Bond, "Skyfall" outdid the $67.5 million U.S. debut of 2008's "Quantum of Solace," the franchise's previous best opening. "Skyfall" more than doubled the $40.8 million debut of Craig's first Bond film, 2006's "Casino Royale."
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Colin Trevorrow discusses the D-Rex, Mosasaurus and Raptors from the Jurassic World trailer (From Flickeringmyth. 28 November 2014, 4:32 PM, PST)
- The Peanuts Movie Voice Cast Announced (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 28 November 2014, 1:20 PM, PST)
- Bob Baker, Puppeteer Whose Theater Was L.A. Institution, Dies at 90 (From Variety - TV News. 28 November 2014, 12:41 PM, PST)
Daniel Craig (I)
- Hilary Swank to star in Bond 24? (From Flickeringmyth. 28 November 2014, 10:34 AM, PST)
- Christoph Waltz to Play Ernst Stavro Blofeld in Bond 24 (From GeekTyrant. 24 November 2014, 2:43 PM, PST)
- Christoph Waltz Is Blofeld In Bond 24 (From Obsessed with Film. 24 November 2014, 11:51 AM, PST)
- Visionary: Richard Linklater to Receive Big Palm Springs International Film Festival Award (From Manny the Movie Guy. 26 November 2014, 9:16 AM, PST)
- Spirit Nominee Ag Iñárritu Took Risks on 'Birdman' (Video) (From Thompson on Hollywood. 25 November 2014, 3:44 PM, PST)
- ‘Mad Men’s Jared Harris Signs With ICM (From Deadline New York. 24 November 2014, 12:57 PM, PST)