Blue and white gigham dress Garland wore as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz sold to anonymous buyer at Beverly Hills auction
Julien's Auctions said the price for the pinafore dress and white puffy-sleeved blouse that Garland wore throughout the 1939 film classic was in line with estimates.
But it was well below the sky-high figures paid last year for Hollywood costumes worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and a similar dress worn during tests for The Wizard of Oz that fetched $910,000 (£572,435) in 2011.
Auctioneer Darren Julien said the price difference was due to the fact that only a few test dresses were made for The Wizard of Oz, while there are about seven versions of Garland's signature gingham pinafore.
Similar News ItemsMarilyn Monroe
- Playboy Says Goodbye to Hugh Hefner By Making Him the First Man To Ever Grace the Magazine's Cover Solo (From PEOPLE.com. 18 October 2017, 7:40 PM, PDT)
- All the Marilyn Monroe Gift Ideas Your Heart Could Ever Desire (From Popsugar. 18 October 2017, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- Young Hugh Hefner Graces 'Playboy' Cover in Honor of the Founder's Death (From Entertainment Tonight. 18 October 2017, 4:10 PM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- 'Only the Brave' Review: Josh Brolin & Co. Bring Heat, Humanity to Firefighter Drama (From Rolling Stone. 18 October 2017, 12:58 PM, PDT)
- Alicia Vikander & Michael Fassbender Marry In Secret Ibiza Getaway (From Uinterview. 18 October 2017, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- Hollywood New Leaders: Agents and Managers (From Variety - Film News. 18 October 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Netflix Snags Spec About “Wizard of Oz” and “Alice in Wonderland” Heroines (From Women and Hollywood. 16 October 2017, 10:01 AM, PDT)
- Win! The Iconic Moments Collection bundle on DVD (From The Hollywood News. 13 October 2017, 9:05 AM, PDT)
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’: Denis Villeneuve on the Challenges of Three-Way Sex Scenes and His Very Real Need for a Nap (From Indiewire. 12 October 2017, 2:51 PM, PDT)