Blue and white gigham dress Garland wore as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz sold to anonymous buyer at Beverly Hills auction
Julien's Auctions said the price for the pinafore dress and white puffy-sleeved blouse that Garland wore throughout the 1939 film classic was in line with estimates.
But it was well below the sky-high figures paid last year for Hollywood costumes worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and a similar dress worn during tests for The Wizard of Oz that fetched $910,000 (£572,435) in 2011.
Auctioneer Darren Julien said the price difference was due to the fact that only a few test dresses were made for The Wizard of Oz, while there are about seven versions of Garland's signature gingham pinafore.
Similar News ItemsMarilyn Monroe
- Hollywood Journalist Bob Thomas Dead at 92 (From The Hollywood Reporter. 14 March 2014, 9:27 AM, PDT)
- Bob Thomas, AP's Dean of Hollywood Reporters, Dead at 92 (From The Wrap. 14 March 2014, 8:42 AM, PDT)
- Bob Thomas, Veteran Entertainment Journalist, Dies (From PEOPLE.com. 14 March 2014, 6:15 AM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- Lupita Nyong'o in talks for Star Wars: Episode VII? (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 15 March 2014, 7:03 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars: Episode VII Looking At 12 Years A Slave Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o (From Cinema Blend. 14 March 2014, 4:16 PM, PDT)
- '12 Years A Slave' Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o Up For A Potential 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Role (From The Playlist. 14 March 2014, 3:56 PM, PDT)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- 8 movie classics that were box office flops: From Blade Runner to Brazil (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 15 March 2014, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘Pan’ Casts Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily and Adeel Akhtar as Smee (From Screen Rant. 14 March 2014, 9:11 AM, PDT)
- Once Upon a Time: Emma’s On The Hunt For A Witch (From Boomtron. 14 March 2014, 5:32 AM, PDT)