Blue and white gigham dress Garland wore as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz sold to anonymous buyer at Beverly Hills auction
Julien's Auctions said the price for the pinafore dress and white puffy-sleeved blouse that Garland wore throughout the 1939 film classic was in line with estimates.
But it was well below the sky-high figures paid last year for Hollywood costumes worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and a similar dress worn during tests for The Wizard of Oz that fetched $910,000 (£572,435) in 2011.
Auctioneer Darren Julien said the price difference was due to the fact that only a few test dresses were made for The Wizard of Oz, while there are about seven versions of Garland's signature gingham pinafore.
Similar News ItemsMarilyn Monroe
- Want to Be Marilyn Monroe for Halloween? Here’s the Only Tutorial You Need (From PEOPLE.com. 24 October 2016, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Boy on a Dolphin (From Trailers from Hell. 21 October 2016, 6:07 PM, PDT)
- 15 Ways to Pay Homage to Marilyn Monroe This Halloween (From Popsugar. 21 October 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
Steve McQueen (III)
- The Light Between Oceans London Press Conference Report (From Flickeringmyth. 24 October 2016, 4:10 AM, PDT)
- Michael Fassbender: ‘I was a bit of a worrywart. I’ve tried to work on that’ (From The Guardian - Film News. 22 October 2016, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Film Festival Roundup: AFI Fest Adds ‘La La Land’ Gala, London Awards Kelly Reichardt’s ‘Certain Women’ and More (From Indiewire. 20 October 2016, 12:00 PM, PDT)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Smithsonian Mounts $300,000 Kickstarter to Repair Dorothy’s Red Slippers (From PEOPLE.com. 20 October 2016, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Smithsonian launches Kickstarter to repair the Wizard Of Oz ruby slippers (From The AV Club. 18 October 2016, 6:40 PM, PDT)
- Us museum launches Kickstarter to save Wizard of Oz red shoes (From The Guardian - Film News. 18 October 2016, 3:58 PM, PDT)