These days, even in the Big Apple, a good burlesque is hard to find. That’s why we’re celebrating the re-opening of the Slipper Room, the sensationally-reviewed historic New York City burlesque joint, which after nearly two years of not having a venue due to lease disputes and Sandy damage built itself into a brand-new jewel box theater just in time for a bawdy Election Night.
The Huffington Post recently got to sit down with Slipper Room proprietor James Habacker to ask him a few questions about the venue, its Vaudeville-like variety shows and the trials of being “burlesque.”
Hp: Can you just give a smorgasbord of examples of stuff that you can see at the Slipper Room on any given night? Balancing acts, aerial acts, comedy, burlesque, go!
Jh: All of that, and also contortionists, magicians, firebreathers, striptease, hula hoopers. Animal acts, puppetry, musicians, we have on Friday »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsConey Island (1943)
- 'Harley Quinn' @ The Roller Derby (From SneakPeek. 21 December 2013, 5:58 PM, PST)
- Harley Quinn #1 is Pure Fun (From SoundOnSight. 18 December 2013, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Beyonce's new 'Xo' video is a thrill ride: Watch (From Hitfix. 16 December 2013, 6:37 PM, PST)
Election Night (1999)
- 21 best 'shipper payoffs of 2013: 'Vampire Diaries' Delena hook-up, 'Bones' wedding and more (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 20 December 2013, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Hot Trailer: Netflix Docu ‘Mitt’ (From Deadline TV. 18 December 2013, 4:47 PM, PST)
- Parenthood, Ep. 5.10, “All That’s Left is the Hugging” a tidy, satisfying midseason finale (From SoundOnSight. 15 December 2013, 10:01 PM, PST)
- Going Beyond Burlesque with Beth B’s Exposed (From Filmmaker Magazine. 14 November 2013, 10:30 AM, PST)
- If You're #draping, Add a Mad Men Cocktail (From ReelzChannel. 14 March 2012, 11:48 AM, PDT)
- Mila Kunis Agrees to Blind Date with Marine (From PEOPLE.com. 11 July 2011, 1:10 PM, PDT)