Disney has signalled that it's taking its newly acquired Star Wars brand very seriously indeed after hiring Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning writer of Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3, to devise a way forward for the forthcoming sequel trilogy, according to Us reports.
Arndt has put together treatments for all three planned films and is in talks to write the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII, which will go into production for a 2015 release date following Disney's $4.05bn purchase of LucasFilm from Star Wars creator George Lucas. Arndt is the only screenwriter to receive Oscar nominations for his first two films, 2006's Little Miss Sunshine (which won best original screenplay) and 2010's Toy Story 3 (which picked up a nod for best adapted screenplay).
Deadline reports that Arndt was brought into the picture »
- Ben Child
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Today in Movie Culture: Hayao Miyazaki's 'Phantom Menace,' Honest 'Scott Pilgrim' Trailer and More (From Movies.com. 9 February 2016, 10:00 PM, PST)
- 311 days until Star Wars: A tiny ‘Rogue One’ spoiler to whet your appetite (From Hitfix. 9 February 2016, 2:56 PM, PST)
- Our First Look at One of Star Wars Land’s Rides? (From Slash Film. 9 February 2016, 2:30 PM, PST)
- Spielberg's 'Ready Player One' Adaptation Release Pushed to 2018 (From FirstShowing.net. 9 February 2016, 3:40 PM, PST)
- Ready Player One moves to 2018 (From TheMovieBit. 9 February 2016, 2:15 PM, PST)
- Steven Spielberg's 'Ready Player One' Moves To 2018, Gets Out Of The Way Of 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' (From The Playlist. 9 February 2016, 1:59 PM, PST)
- Reel TV: The New 'Star Trek' Recruits 'Hannibal' Mastermind to Run the Show (From Movies.com. 9 February 2016, 5:00 PM, PST)
- Star Trek: J.J. Abrams vs Bryan Fuller (From Hitfix. 9 February 2016, 3:32 PM, PST)
- “Phantasm: Remastered,” “Carnage Park,” latest from the “Evil Dead” team and more in SXSW Midnighters (From Fangoria. 9 February 2016, 1:12 PM, PST)