"When you dance with the devil, you wait for the song to stop."
Audiences have been flocking to theaters to watch gangster movies since before the introduction of "talkies," enticed by the opportunity to be a tourist in the violent world of career criminals without any of the risk associated with the reality of the lifestyle. The genre has been dominated by the stories of desperate Italian immigrants struggling to make it in America and Italian-American mafiosos who temper their ruthlessnes with strict codes of conduct, such as in The Godfather, considered the second greatest film in American cinema by the American Film Institute.
But, the "face" of gangster movies has become less defined in the past two decades as America has become more diverse and moviegoers more accepting of foreign imports. Modern masters like Martin Scorsese and Brian De Palma continue to elevate the genre by perfecting it, while innovative filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino, »
- BrentJS Sprecher
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- Indie Spotlight (From DailyDead. 8 December 2013, 1:07 PM, PST)
- Boston Critics Go For 'Slave', Saudi Drama, and Several Surprises (From Alt Film Guide. 8 December 2013, 1:05 PM, PST)
- The eking out of the Hobbit franchise offers poor value for fans (From The Guardian - Film News. 6 December 2013, 9:59 PM, PST)
- Box Office or: How I Learned to Stop Going to Theatres and Play Catch-Up (From FilmExperience. 8 December 2013, 7:24 PM, PST)
- '12 Years a Slave' sweeps Boston Critics' and N.Y. Online Critics' Awards (From Gold Derby. 8 December 2013, 4:43 PM, PST)
- "Her," "12 Years a Slave" Lead Washington D.C. Film Critics Nominations! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 8 December 2013, 4:24 PM, PST)
- Wait, That's Madonna's Son?! Rocco Ritchie, 13, Shows Off Washboard Abs and Parties With Mom (From E! Online. 6 December 2013, 1:56 PM, PST)
- Madonna's Son Rocco Ritchie, 13, Is All Grown Up (From PEOPLE.com. 6 December 2013, 10:25 AM, PST)
- Big Announcements Regarding ‘X-Men’ & Marvel (From LatinoReview. 6 December 2013, 1:17 AM, PST)