The third annual Doc NYC running from November 8-15, will showcase 115 films and events, including screenings of 61 feature-length films, 32 shorts, and 22 doc-related panel discussions and masterclasses.
This year the festival will partner with Echelon Donates for City Harvest Food Drive to benefit the neediest victims of superstorm Sandy.
Here are five highlights from this year's compelling Doc NYC with three films from the Viewfinders Competition, a Sonic Cinema, and one of 10 films selected by Doc NYC programmers as ones to watch this awards season:
Shepard & Dark
When Johnny Dark and Sam Shepard met in New York in 1963, they began talking "as sons," right from the start. Shepard, who calls himself "rootless essentially," and has "done everything not to become my father," keeps writing about his father "endlessly."
The two men wrote letters for more than 40 years. "We complement each other," says Dark, who works »
- Anne-Katrin Titze
Similar News ItemsSam Shepard
- Netflix Originals: 11 great shows for your to-watch list (From Den of Geek. 14 September 2016, 12:14 PM, PDT)
- ‘Realive’ Exclusive Trailer: Mateo Gil’s New Sci-Fi Drama Explores Life After Resurrection (From Indiewire. 12 September 2016, 8:48 AM, PDT)
- Meg Ryan on Working with Tom Hanks Again (After Almost 20 Years!): 'He's Just Such a Master' (From PEOPLE.com. 9 September 2016, 1:00 PM, PDT)
Johnny Dark (I)
- Review: Shepard & Dark (From Slackerwood. 24 October 2013, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Review: Sam Shepard Documentary 'Shepard & Dark' A Fascinating Look At Male Friendship (From The Playlist. 28 September 2013, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Capsule Movie Reviews (Sept 25): 'Metallica Through the Never' and five more (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 25 September 2013, 11:41 AM, PDT)