Despite being 26 years old, Top Gun remains a solid fixture in the American (and perhaps even the world’s) cultural subconscious. Its enduring popularity has long made it a viable candidate for a sequel, even decades after the original’s release. Rumors of a Top Gun 2 engaged afterburners earlier this year as screenwriters were actively courted to craft a script for a new Tom Cruise fighter-pilot epic.
Sadly, it appears that hopes for the further adventures of Maverick and Iceman are in vain. Three months after the suicide of Top Gun director Tony Scott, Paramount Pictures has admitted that the sequel will almost certainly not be produced. In its place, the studio has begun planning for the release of the 3-D conversion of the original film in 2013.
In a New York ...
- Kyle Hembree
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Video: Why You’re Wrong About ‘Top Gun’ (From Slash Film. 16 December 2014, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Best of Late Night TV: Oprah's '80s Soap Opera, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski's Epic Christmas Prank (Video) (From Moviefone. 15 December 2014, 11:19 PM, PST)
- Celebrity Big Brother: Emma Willis teases "proper stellar cast" (From Digital Spy - TV news. 15 December 2014, 4:01 PM, PST)
Paramount Pictures [us]
- Paramount pulls Team America theatrical availability (From Den of Geek. 18 December 2014, 11:13 PM, PST)
- The Gambler Movie Review (From ShockYa. 18 December 2014, 8:05 PM, PST)
- Mark Wahlberg Has Big, Long-Term Transformers Plans (From Cinema Blend. 18 December 2014, 7:52 PM, PST)
Tony Scott (I)
- Video: Re-evaluating Top Gun – A Different Opinion On Tom Cruise In The 1986 Classic (From The Hollywood News. 16 December 2014, 1:23 PM, PST)
- Why You're Wrong about Top Gun - Maverick Was a Phony (From GeekTyrant. 16 December 2014, 10:09 AM, PST)
- Check Out This Awesome Holographic Foil Print for 'Top Gun' by Gabz (From FirstShowing.net. 12 December 2014, 2:38 PM, PST)