Caveh Zahedi’s The Sheik and I, the filmmaker’s uber-controversial follow-up to his Gotham Award-winning I Am a Sex Addict, was today picked up by Factory 25. Matt Grady’s Brooklyn-based boutique distribution company will give the film a simultaneous digital and theatrical release in December, which will qualify the doc for awards consideration. The film, in which Zahedi gleefully pokes fun at the Middle Eastern benefactor who is bankrolling his movie, had its world premiere at SXSW earlier this year — and has been banned in the United Arab Emirates for blasphemy.
The Sheik and I trailer from factory twenty five on Vimeo.
From today’s press release:
Brooklyn, NY (November 6, 2012) - Factory 25 announced today that it has acquired world rights to Caveh Zahedi’s The Sheik and I which premiered at SXSW. Commissioned by a Middle Eastern Biennial to make a film on the theme of “art as a subversive act, »
- Nick Dawson
Similar News ItemsDecember 7th (1943)
- New Poster for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (From Worst Previews. 29 July 2014, 3:18 AM, PDT)
- Holding out for Heroes (From Flickeringmyth. 24 February 2014, 1:49 AM, PST)
- Disney’s Hunchback To Become A Musical (From The Hollywood News. 28 January 2014, 6:47 AM, PST)
- Caveh Zahedi’s CineMart Diary (From Filmmaker Magazine. 2 February 2014, 10:21 AM, PST)
- CineMart unveils 25 selections (From ScreenDaily. 18 December 2013, 4:00 AM, PST)
- “The Line Blurs:” Morals of Filmmaking (From Filmmaker Magazine. 12 December 2013, 8:12 AM, PST)
I Am a Sex Addict (2005)
- 'A Lot Of People Think I’m A Horrible Person' (From Huffington Post. 3 December 2012, 6:17 AM, PST)
- Factory 25 to Release Caveh Zahedi's Controversial Doc 'The Sheik and I' (From Indiewire. 6 November 2012, 10:11 AM, PST)
- SXSW 2012. Documentary Feature Competition (From MUBI. 27 March 2012, 2:54 PM, PDT)