[Photo by Linus Bohman]
Among the many primary functions of film music, tension is near the top of the list. Wether it’s to generate feelings of suspense, anticipation, or even a false sense of danger, creating tension is a major part of our work as film composers.
In this article I’ll discuss one of the tools you can add to your bag of tricks for creating tension, the technique of stretching out a scale.
Tension is aroused when there is a conflict between what we expect to happen and what actually happens. In music one of the easiest ways to do this is to set up an expectation, but then delay it’s resolution.
I’m reminded of the scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit in which the villain is trying to get Roger Rabbit to come out of his hiding place. He knocks out the rhythm to the first part »
- Ryan Leach
Similar News ItemsRobert Rodriguez (I)
- Fantastic Fest 2016: Robert Rodriguez to Present Tim Burton with “Keep Austin Peculiar Day” Proclamation (From DailyDead. 24 September 2016, 9:49 PM, PDT)
- Horror Highlights: The Nightmare Before Christmas Nycc 2016 Pop! Vinyls, The Director’S Chair, Shortwave (From DailyDead. 24 September 2016, 9:08 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: John Carpenter to host premiere of El Rey’s new horror showcase (From The AV Club. 23 September 2016, 1:47 PM, PDT)
M. Night Shyamalan
- Twist! Will the Big Reveals in This Is Us and Pitch Really Work? (From E! Online. 23 September 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Us Digital Release Date Announced for Scare Campaign (From DailyDead. 21 September 2016, 2:39 PM, PDT)
- James McAvoy Will Fend Off An Alien Invasion In New Sci-Fi Pic Extinction (From We Got This Covered. 12 September 2016, 7:22 AM, PDT)
- Magnificent Seven Remake Wins Weekend Box Office with $35M (From MovieWeb. 25 September 2016, 12:02 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: ‘Magnificent Seven’ Rounds Up $12.7 Million on Friday (From Variety - Film News. 24 September 2016, 7:20 AM, PDT)
- Emilio Rivera -- The White Zone is for Push Up Challenge (Video) (From TMZ. 24 September 2016, 12:27 AM, PDT)