[Photo by Linus Bohman]
Among the many primary functions of film music, tension is near the top of the list. Wether it’s to generate feelings of suspense, anticipation, or even a false sense of danger, creating tension is a major part of our work as film composers.
In this article I’ll discuss one of the tools you can add to your bag of tricks for creating tension, the technique of stretching out a scale.
Tension is aroused when there is a conflict between what we expect to happen and what actually happens. In music one of the easiest ways to do this is to set up an expectation, but then delay it’s resolution.
I’m reminded of the scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit in which the villain is trying to get Roger Rabbit to come out of his hiding place. He knocks out the rhythm to the first part »
- Ryan Leach
Similar News ItemsRobert Rodriguez (I)
- Michelle Rodriguez Joins Robert Rodriguez’s ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ (From Slash Film. 22 February 2017, 4:30 PM, PST)
- Alita: Battle Angel Wraps Filming; Michelle Rodriguez Confirmed To Play Gelda (From We Got This Covered. 22 February 2017, 1:23 PM, PST)
- Michelle Rodriguez Secretly Joined Alita: Battle Angel (From MovieWeb. 22 February 2017, 11:39 AM, PST)
M. Night Shyamalan
- Deadpool 2 start date leaked, Captain Marvel details, new Star Wars artwork and more – Daily News Roundup (From Flickeringmyth. 23 February 2017, 12:23 AM, PST)
- The Weekend Warrior 2/24/17: Get Out, Collide, Rock Dog (From LRM Online. 22 February 2017, 11:00 AM, PST)
- First look at M. Night Shyamalan’s Tales from the Crypt reboot (From Flickeringmyth. 22 February 2017, 5:31 AM, PST)
- Lineup for the Suncoast Credit Union Gasparilla International Film Festival (From LRM Online. 22 February 2017, 2:50 PM, PST)
- ‘Cross Wars’ Review (From Blogomatic3000. 14 February 2017, 6:01 AM, PST)
- Danny Trejo Fights an Army of Mutant Pigs in Bullets of Justice (From Dread Central. 6 February 2017, 9:30 AM, PST)