As indie makers know all too well, movie distribution is undergoing a major restructuring. The shift from analog media to digital production, post-production and distribution technologies not only changes how movies are made and distributed, but how people view them.
Theatrical moviegoing is declining; since 2002, ticket sales have declined by nearly 20 percent. Making matters worse, DVD sales are shrinking. And video streaming revenues, while growing, are doing so at a rate insufficient to make up the difference.
Readers of Filmmaker are urged to check out a recent article in the Los Angeles Times, “Now playing at a living room near you.” Its thesis is simple: “Indie films, finding it harder to compete at the box office, are turning to video on demand. Bachelorette made $418,000 in theaters, $5.5 million in VOD rentals.”
- David Rosen
Similar News ItemsMargin Call (2011)
- Jc Chandor Lines Up One Time Kathryn Bigelow Pic 'Triple Frontier' (From Rope Of Silicon. 29 June 2015, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- J.C. Chandor in Talks to Direct Paramount Thriller ‘Triple Frontier’ (From Variety - Film News. 29 June 2015, 2:09 PM, PDT)
- Jc Chandor Circling Mark Boal-Scripted Hot-Button Drama ‘Triple Frontier’ (From Deadline. 29 June 2015, 9:44 AM, PDT)
Sleepwalk with Me (2012)
- New international trailer for Judd Apatow’s Trainwreck starring Amy Schumer (From Flickeringmyth. 24 June 2015, 6:06 AM, PDT)
- Jim Norton, Rachel Dratch and David Alan Grier Among Upcoming ‘Friends of the People’ Guest Stars (Exclusive) (From The Wrap. 10 June 2015, 8:10 AM, PDT)
- Round-Up: Fear The Walking Dead to Stream on Hulu, Goners Vol. 1: We All Fall Down, The Grand Guignol Automaton (From DailyDead. 29 April 2015, 9:49 AM, PDT)
- GoDigital Buys Self-Distribution Specialist Distribber (From Variety - Film News. 24 June 2015, 6:10 PM, PDT)
- Shout! Factory Acquires North American Rights to Horror Comedy Gravy (From DailyDead. 22 June 2015, 3:49 PM, PDT)
- Benderspink, Preferred Content to Produce ‘Broken’ TV Series Based on Ya Novel (Exclusive) (From The Wrap. 28 April 2015, 12:30 PM, PDT)