Beppe Grillo, the anti-politics hero who promised to clean up the system sparks storm over angry outburst
After a decade in which Italian politics was dominated by showgirls and sleaze, Beppe Grillo's brand of web-based democracy and anti-corruption campaigning has been taking Italy by storm, and his movement became Sicily's biggest party in regional elections last weekend and came second in nationwide polls.
But the tousle-haired comedian and blogger has now been dragged into a very familiar sounding Italian row after he was accused of being a "medieval" sexist and no different to politician Silvio Berlusconi.
At first glance, Grillo appears the antithesis of the permatanned former prime minister, who packed his TV shows and his cabinet with showgirls and passed around a phallic statue to break the ice at his famous bunga bunga parties. But the comedian's non-sexist credentials were called into question when Federica Salsi, a local »
- Tom Kington
Similar News ItemsSilvio Berlusconi
- 1992 box set review – A terrifying struggle for power in Italy (From The Guardian - TV News. 7 January 2016, 8:10 AM, PST)
- Pope Francis Biopic Bows At Vatican Amid Tight Security For Thousands Of Faithful, Hungry And Homeless (From Variety - Film News. 1 December 2015, 11:17 AM, PST)
- Stockholm: Docs Enjoy Golden Age With Eager Audiences (From Variety - Film News. 14 November 2015, 6:44 AM, PST)
- Ross Noble mocks Mock the Week (From The Guardian - TV News. 30 October 2013, 3:09 AM, PDT)
- Reality – review (From The Guardian - Film News. 22 March 2013, 8:52 AM, PDT)
- M5S 'will not help form Italian government' (From The Guardian - Film News. 1 March 2013, 6:11 AM, PST)
Mario Monti (I)
- History Orders Six-Hour 'World Wars' Docuseries (From The Hollywood Reporter. 5 February 2014, 11:28 AM, PST)
- History To Telecast Docu-Event Series ‘World Wars’ To Mark 100th Anniversary of Wwi (From Deadline TV. 5 February 2014, 11:16 AM, PST)
- Despite Silvio Berlusconi’s Ouster, Mediaset Rides High … For Now (From Variety - TV News. 12 December 2013, 3:43 AM, PST)