Eon Productions, MGM and Sony Pictures have announced that 007's 23rd screen adventure Skyfall has marked the 50th anniversary of the James Bond movie franchise in style by overtaking Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 to claim the biggest seven day gross of all time at the UK box office with £37.2m in its opening week.
Skyfall had already recorded the highest opening weekend of the year, pulling in £20.2m from Friday to Sunday to shatter the year's previous best three-day debut, The Dark Knight Rises (£14.3m). After just seven days in play, Skyfall has already made more than The Hunger Games (£23.7m), Prometheus (£24.7m), Ice Age 4: Continental Drift (£29.1m) and Ted (£29.8m) and it looks all but assured that the film will go on to surpass The Avengers (£51.6m) and The Dark Knight Rises (£55.8m) to become the highest grossing release of 2012.
Directed by Academy Award-winner »
Similar News ItemsThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Mindy Project Season 4 Twist: Mindy to Wed Big Bang Theory's Raj?! (From TVLine.com. 29 July 2015, 5:51 PM, PDT)
- Why Movie Theaters Probably Won't Start Adding Metal Detectors (From Cinema Blend. 29 July 2015, 7:49 AM, PDT)
- Watch Chris Hemsworth Starve With Co-Stars on Set of 'In the Heart of the Sea' (From Moviefone. 29 July 2015, 3:45 AM, PDT)
Daniel Craig (I)
- Today in Movie Culture: Chris Farley in 'Mission: Impossible,' Pierce Brosnan as 007 in 'Spectre' and More (From Movies.com. 31 July 2015, 9:30 PM, PDT)
- ‘Rogue Nation’: 5 Reasons It’s the Best ‘Mission: Impossible’ (From Variety - Film News. 31 July 2015, 11:43 AM, PDT)
- What if Pierce Brosnan came back as James Bond for Spectre? Here's your must-see 007 video of the day (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 30 July 2015, 8:40 AM, PDT)
- Who Will Be Singing the Next Bond Song? (From BuzzSugar. 31 July 2015, 10:50 AM, PDT)
- Spectre Theme Song To Be Performed By Radiohead? (From We Got This Covered. 30 July 2015, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- “I Just Like Doing My Job”: Dp Roger Deakins on Working with the Coens, Digital vs. Film and His Most Difficult Shots (From Filmmaker Magazine. 30 July 2015, 11:16 AM, PDT)