Mountain Home, Ark. (AP) — Bill Dees emerged from his days as an out-of-cash young songwriter to pen tunes recorded by Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn and other country music greats, but the centerpiece of his career was his work with Roy Orbison, including co-writing the classic rock hit, "Oh, Pretty Woman."
Dees, who died in Arkansas last week at age 73, had said writing that song with Orbison in 1964 changed his life. In a 2008 interview with National Public Radio, Dees recalled that the night they penned the hit song, Orbison told him he wouldn't need to go to work that Monday if he didn't want to.
"He said, 'Buy yourself an electric piano, and I'll take you on the road with me.' And he said, 'I'll pay you what the band's getting,'" Dees said during the NPR interview, which is posted on his Dees' website.
He went on to tour »
Similar News ItemsPretty Woman (1990)
- Did Htgawm Not Unmask Lila's Killer? Is Jane Moving Too Fast? Did S.H.I.E.L.D. Dupe Us? Where's Ruby? And More Qs (From TVLine.com. 21 November 2014, 11:25 AM, PST)
- If You Thought This Was a Tyler Perry Movie, You Might Be Racist… (From VH1.com. 18 November 2014, 1:30 PM, PST)
- O'Connell Seeks "Money," Law Joins "Knights" (From Dark Horizons. 15 November 2014, 6:01 AM, PST)
Ed Sullivan (I)
- Jersey Boys Blu-Ray Review (From We Got This Covered. 11 November 2014, 5:56 PM, PST)
- David Letterman's last stand: 'The more love you show him, the more he'll show you back' (From The Guardian - TV News. 11 November 2014, 7:56 AM, PST)
- Usher on Tonight’s Msg Show and Why His New Album Is Taking So Long (From Vulture. 7 November 2014, 10:30 AM, PST)
- Kacey Musgraves Defends Her Big Hair (From Uinterview. 6 November 2014, 9:00 PM, PST)
- Kacey Musgraves Appears On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' Via Hologram (From Uinterview. 6 November 2014, 9:00 PM, PST)
- Jimmy Kimmel interviews Kacey Musgraves via hologram (From EW.com - PopWatch. 6 November 2014, 10:34 AM, PST)