For those who remember the film starring Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová, Once has been adapted for the stage by John Tiffany and Edna Walsh, the latter who also wrote co-wrote Hunger, and recently won 8 Tony awards including Best Musical.
Once is an celebration of love, friendship and music. When an Irish busker and a young Czech mother meet through a shared love of music, their songwriting sparks a deep connection and a tender, longing romance that neither of them could have expected. The music was written by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová for the film and has moved across effortlessly to the stage. This Irish indie project was originally shot in 17 days and was made for $150,000 in Dublin, but went on to take $20m worldwide and the soundtrack was also nominated for two Grammy awards.
John Tiffany’s production will will open in the West End in Spring 2013 at the Phoenix Theatre on 9 April, »
- Dan Bullock
Similar News ItemsBarbara Broccoli
- Lionsgate Acquires U.K. Rights to ‘Churchill,’ Starring Brian Cox (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 31 October 2016, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- James Bond, and the perils of casting a new 007 (From Den of Geek. 12 October 2016, 10:21 AM, PDT)
- Daniel Craig Implies He Wants to Keep Playing James Bond After All (From Variety - Film News. 10 October 2016, 12:49 PM, PDT)
- Meet 'Oitnb''s Secret Metalhead: Inside Jessica Pimentel's Double Life (From Rolling Stone. 30 November 2016, 6:55 AM, PST)
- Golden Globes Open Awards Season Doors to Overlooked Genres (From Variety - Film News. 23 November 2016, 10:00 AM, PST)
- New to Streaming: ‘Hell or High Water,’ ‘Kubo and the Two Strings,’ ‘Dog Eat Dog,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 11 November 2016, 7:43 AM, PST)
- The Commitments at 25: Robert Arkins, Ken McCluskey & Dave Finnegan interview (From The Hollywood News. 25 September 2016, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- Nerd Alert: Tarantino Supercut, Mlb Meets Full House and Peanuts Remix (From MovieWeb. 17 August 2015, 9:43 AM, PDT)
- This Video of Amy Schumer Crashing an Irish Wedding Is as Epic as You'd Expect (From Popsugar. 17 August 2015, 7:05 AM, PDT)