You'll forgive me for not endorsing Katy Perry the same way I do Kylie Minogue, because some things have always bugged me about Ms. Perry's pop persona: I find the little-girl-dolled-up-in-sexy-candy-costuming shtick sleazy without wit, her transition from Christian pop ingenue to bicurious bopper more than a little insincere, and her comments about mixing sex and spirituality ("I am sensitive to... Lady Gaga putting a rosary in her mouth. I think when you put sex and spirituality in the same bottle and shake it up, bad things happen.") completely puritanical and lame. Say what you will about Ke$ha, but she's never been pretentious. I'm Team Tik Tok every time.
That said, on the occasion of Ms. Perry's 28th birthday, I'm game to rediscover the seven reasons it's Ok to call yourself a fan. Raise up your firework and follow along.
1. "California Gurls" was the definitive summer anthem of 2010.
2010 was »
Similar News Items"Glee" (2009)
- Lea Michele and Ashley Tisdale Come Together for the Glee-High School Musical Collab of Your Dreams (From E! Online. 25 July 2017, 1:50 PM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Read This: In Hollywood today, followers are as important as acting classes (From The AV Club. 25 July 2017, 12:58 PM, PDT)
- Ugly Betty Cast Reunites at Benefit Concert: “Familia Forever” (From PEOPLE.com. 25 July 2017, 9:07 AM, PDT)
- Stars Are Standing in Solidarity With the Transgender Community After Trump's Military Ban (From Popsugar. 26 July 2017, 10:10 PM, PDT)
- ‘BearCity’ Is the Biggest and Hairiest Gay Trilogy You’ve Never Seen (From Indiewire. 25 July 2017, 1:50 PM, PDT)
- Taylor Kinney, Grill Master, ‘Could Have a Hell of a Cooking Show’ (From PEOPLE.com. 25 July 2017, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Katy Perry to Host 2017 MTV VMAs (From TVLine.com. 27 July 2017, 11:18 AM, PDT)
- Katy Perry to Host 2017 MTV Video Music Awards (From Variety - TV News. 27 July 2017, 11:15 AM, PDT)
- Katy Perry to Host 2017 MTV VMAs (Video) (From The Wrap. 27 July 2017, 11:10 AM, PDT)