You'll forgive me for not endorsing Katy Perry the same way I do Kylie Minogue, because some things have always bugged me about Ms. Perry's pop persona: I find the little-girl-dolled-up-in-sexy-candy-costuming shtick sleazy without wit, her transition from Christian pop ingenue to bicurious bopper more than a little insincere, and her comments about mixing sex and spirituality ("I am sensitive to... Lady Gaga putting a rosary in her mouth. I think when you put sex and spirituality in the same bottle and shake it up, bad things happen.") completely puritanical and lame. Say what you will about Ke$ha, but she's never been pretentious. I'm Team Tik Tok every time.
That said, on the occasion of Ms. Perry's 28th birthday, I'm game to rediscover the seven reasons it's Ok to call yourself a fan. Raise up your firework and follow along.
1. "California Gurls" was the definitive summer anthem of 2010.
2010 was »
Similar News Items"Glee" (2009)
- Harry Styles and Lea Michele top of casting wishlist for Wicked film (From The Guardian - Film News. 7 March 2014, 2:44 AM, PST)
- Glee's 100th Episode: Brittana's Sweet Reunion, A Touching Finn Tribute and More—See the Pics! (From E! Online. 6 March 2014, 5:16 PM, PST)
- Lea Michele's Lamp Shade Skirt: Gotta Have It or Make It Stop? (From E! Online. 6 March 2014, 3:00 PM, PST)
- First trailer for Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (From Flickeringmyth. 6 March 2014, 11:06 PM, PST)
- Sin City 2: Eva Green is dangerous temptress in new trailer - video (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 6 March 2014, 2:54 PM, PST)
- Sin City's Black-and-White Violence Is Back, Now With Joseph Gordon-Levitt (From BuzzSugar. 6 March 2014, 1:31 PM, PST)
- Cyrus slams Perry on Twitter (From RealBollywood. 7 March 2014, 12:31 AM, PST)
- Katy Perry wants to spank Miley Cyrus over kissing episode (From RealBollywood. 6 March 2014, 10:27 PM, PST)
- Miley Cyrus Lashes Out at Katy Perry in Twitter Feud (From The Hollywood Reporter. 6 March 2014, 8:28 PM, PST)