You know it's awards season when the multiplexes start looking like time machines. It's no secret that recreating the past is often a quick ticket to Oscar nominations or wins. But it's usually only the films that find a fresh way of looking backward that catch on with paying audiences.
Ben Affleck's "Argo," opening this weekend in wide release, is one of those films. The movie sheds light on a little-known chapter of the 1979-1980 Iranian hostage crisis in which the CIA got a little help from Hollywood in using a fake sci-fi movie production as a cover to rescue six State Department employees secretly hiding in Tehran. The mission was classified for nearly two decades, until President Bill Clinton declassified it in 1997.
Related: Movies you can't believe are true
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- Spike TV Greenlights ‘Caraoke Showdown’ Series Hosted by Craig Robinson (From Variety - TV News. 26 July 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- All the Times Sandra Bullock Lit Up a Room (From Popsugar. 26 July 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Shailene Woodley Caravans Across U.S. to Democratic National Convention (From Variety - Film News. 25 July 2016, 8:01 AM, PDT)
- Geoff Johns Becomes President of DC Entertainment (From MovieWeb. 27 July 2016, 8:17 AM, PDT)
- It's Official: Geoff Johns Is Running The Dceu! (From LatinoReview. 27 July 2016, 7:35 AM, PDT)
- ‘Suicide Squad’ Director Shoots Down Joker Fan Theory (From The Wrap. 27 July 2016, 6:47 AM, PDT)
"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Anna Gunn at ‘Equity’ Premiere: A Female-Led Wall Street Film is ‘Long Past Due’ (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2016, 9:39 AM, PDT)
- 'Equity' Review: The She-Wolf of Wall Street (From Rolling Stone. 27 July 2016, 9:34 AM, PDT)
- 'Preacher: Season One" congregates on Blu-ray and DVD in October (From MoreHorror. 26 July 2016, 9:59 PM, PDT)