New York — Tom Hanks will play a gutsy New York City newspaper columnist when he makes his debut on Broadway in the spring.
Producers of Nora Ephron's play "Lucky Guy" announced Thursday that Hanks will play Mike McAlary in the stage biography. Hanks, a two-time Oscar winner, had been in negotiations for the role when Ephron died this summer.
Previews begin March 1 at the Broadhurst Theatre and an opening night is set for April 1.
McAlary, the city's one-time dominant tabloid reporter, got the first interview with Abner Louima, a Haitian immigrant who was sodomized and beaten by white police officers at a station house in 1997. McAlary would win the Pulitzer Prize the next year but would die of cancer a few months later at age 41.
The director of "Lucky Guy" will be George C. Wolfe.
In June, lead producer Colin Callender said his team could "think of no more »
Similar News ItemsTom Hanks
- Minority Report TV show in the works with Steven Spielberg (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 22 August 2014, 2:19 AM, PDT)
- U.K.’s Channel 4 Detonates North Korean Thriller ‘Opposite Number’ (From Variety - TV News. 22 August 2014, 1:31 AM, PDT)
- 10 Most Ridiculous Movie Death Scenes (From Obsessed with Film. 22 August 2014, 1:28 AM, PDT)
Ron Howard (I)
- Some Of The Best Things Are Still "Made In America" (From JustPressPlay. 21 August 2014, 2:14 AM, PDT)
- 'Resident Evil 6' Delayed, Warburton Back for 'Ted 2' and Stewart Took 'Rosewater' to Abrams and Howard (From Rope Of Silicon. 20 August 2014, 4:19 PM, PDT)
- Jon Stewart Opens Up About Directorial Debut Rosewater (From We Got This Covered. 20 August 2014, 2:51 PM, PDT)
Forrest Gump (1994)
- Best of Late Night TV: Lindsay Lohan Takes the Ice Bucket Challenge, Jared Leto Gets Shaved (Video) (From Moviefone. 21 August 2014, 12:27 AM, PDT)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt on 'Sin City 2,' 'Sandman,' and a 'Star Wars' Cameo (From Moviefone. 20 August 2014, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Chris Pratt Shares A Glimpse Of His Homeless Past (From Uinterview. 17 August 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)