New York — Tom Hanks will play a gutsy New York City newspaper columnist when he makes his debut on Broadway in the spring.
Producers of Nora Ephron's play "Lucky Guy" announced Thursday that Hanks will play Mike McAlary in the stage biography. Hanks, a two-time Oscar winner, had been in negotiations for the role when Ephron died this summer.
Previews begin March 1 at the Broadhurst Theatre and an opening night is set for April 1.
McAlary, the city's one-time dominant tabloid reporter, got the first interview with Abner Louima, a Haitian immigrant who was sodomized and beaten by white police officers at a station house in 1997. McAlary would win the Pulitzer Prize the next year but would die of cancer a few months later at age 41.
The director of "Lucky Guy" will be George C. Wolfe.
In June, lead producer Colin Callender said his team could "think of no more »
Similar News ItemsTom Hanks
- 8 Stars Toronto Could Do Without at Tiff (From Moviefone. 2 September 2014, 2:10 AM, PDT)
- 'Birdman' director Alejandro González Iñárritu has a problem with the word 'hero' (From Hitfix. 1 September 2014, 9:51 AM, PDT)
- 'Olive Kitteridge': Venice Review (From The Hollywood Reporter. 1 September 2014, 4:19 AM, PDT)
Ron Howard (I)
- '24' Movie Still in the Works with Kiefer Sutherland (From MovieWeb. 1 September 2014, 3:07 PM, PDT)
- 10 Biggest Movie And TV News This Week (Aug 31) (From Obsessed with Film. 31 August 2014, 1:35 AM, PDT)
- Telluride: Weinstein Company Jumps Back Into Oscar Game With Strong ‘Imitation Game’ Screening (From Deadline New York. 30 August 2014, 1:18 AM, PDT)
Forrest Gump (1994)
- See Reddit users’ favorite movie from each year (From SoundOnSight. 2 September 2014, 12:56 PM, PDT)
- Win Run-Of-Engagement Passes To See Forrest Gump in IMAX in St. Louis (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 27 August 2014, 5:08 PM, PDT)
- Diana Nyad -- Pulling A Forrest Gump ... I'm Gonna Walk Across USA (From TMZ. 25 August 2014, 2:16 PM, PDT)