Is a lower 12A certificate responsible for Taken 2 grossing more in the UK in a weekend than the entire run of its predecessor?
When Taken debuted in the UK in September 2008 with £1.17m, the Liam Neeson action film proved a surprise word-of-mouth hit with audiences, its box office dropping just 6% the following weekend, and eventually achieving a healthy total of 5.5 times its opening number (£6.39m). The film went on to be a robust performer on DVD. In other words, all the planets looked felicitously aligned for the sequel, and industry expectations for commercial performance were appropriately high.
Even so, the success of Taken 2 has caught commentators by surprise. With £6.19m over the three-day weekend, and £7.38m including Thursday previews, the Istanbul-set film has already grossed more than the entire UK run of the original Taken. If previews are discounted from opening weekend figures (as they should »
- Charles Gant
Similar News ItemsThe Avengers (2012)
- Captain America: Civil War Review: This Is Only A Test (From TheHDRoom. 4 May 2016, 4:53 PM, PDT)
- Who Will Die on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? (From E! Online. 4 May 2016, 2:15 PM, PDT)
- Is Zemo the best Marvel movie villain? (From Flickeringmyth. 4 May 2016, 12:57 PM, PDT)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Pablo Hidalgo says Supreme Leader Snoke will not appear in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (From Flickeringmyth. 1 May 2016, 5:31 AM, PDT)
- Mads Mikkelsen lets slip his Rogue One: A Star Wars Story role (From Flickeringmyth. 28 April 2016, 3:14 PM, PDT)
- Defending The Amazing Spider-Man (From Flickeringmyth. 28 April 2016, 1:52 PM, PDT)
- Weekly Rushes. Godard Biopic, Film Comment Editors, Jarmusch Clips, Radiohead's "The Wicker Man" (From MUBI. 4 May 2016, 6:22 AM, PDT)
- Criterion Reflections – 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – Ld #60 (From CriterionCast. 3 May 2016, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Discover the Excesses and Pain of Terrence Malick’s ‘Knight of Cups’ In a New Video Essay (From The Film Stage. 2 May 2016, 1:01 PM, PDT)