A record 71 countries, including first-time entrant Kenya, have submitted films for consideration in the Foreign Language Film category for the 85th Academy Awards®. In May, Michael Haneke.s Amour (Love) won the Palme d.Or at the 65th Cannes Film Festival and was shown this past weekend at the 50th New York Film Festival. However the film I was happiest to see make the list below is from France – The Intouchables from directors Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano. Check out our review Here.
In the Academy’s rules, only one picture will be accepted from each country. Plus the Academy Statuette (Oscar) will be awarded to the motion picture and accepted by the director on behalf of the picture.s creative talents. Ultimately five foreign language motion pictures are nominated for this award.
Director/writer Asghar Farhadi’s A Separation from Iran won the Oscar for the Best »
- Michelle McCue
Similar News ItemsJosé María Cabral
- Academy Award for foreign language film nets a record 71 submissions (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 8 October 2012, 1:06 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Amour, The Intouchables, No & Pieta lead submissions for Best Foreign Language Film (From HeyUGuys. 8 October 2012, 12:39 PM, PDT)
- Meet Barfi’s 64 Oscar competitors (From DearCinema.com. 2 October 2012, 6:18 AM, PDT)
- Movie Review – Everything Will Be Okay (Alles wird gut, 2015) (From Flickeringmyth. 27 November 2015, 9:38 AM, PST)
- 2016 Oscar Predictions: Best Director (From Indiewire. 25 November 2015, 1:22 PM, PST)
- Cinematographer Christian Berger Talks ‘By the Sea,’ Angelina Jolie Pitt’s Creative Force, and More (From The Film Stage. 23 November 2015, 12:46 PM, PST)
- Radiator review – absorbing portrait of ageing and unhappiness (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 November 2015, 2:30 PM, PST)
- The Art of Dying: Inside the Devastating Drama 'James White' (From Rolling Stone. 13 November 2015, 9:18 AM, PST)
- Criterion Collection: Code Unknown | Blu-ray Review (From ioncinema. 10 November 2015, 9:30 AM, PST)