Michael C. here, returned from having my skin properly crawled at the Nyff’s Midnight Movie series.
Barry Levinson's The Bay is the type of movie you would get if Al Gore decided to forget the whole PowerPoint documentary thing and made a movie where global warming boils everyone’s brain and brings on a zombie apocalypse. Levinson says he was first approached to make a documentary about industrial pollution killing Chesapeake Bay, but opted to direct The Bay instead. The premise involves a breed of sea lice - which look like those bed bugs you always see magnified in pest control ads - mutating into a creepy crawly menace after they find their way into the toxic chemical soup that is currently the Chesapeake.
Levinson says he and screenwriter Michael Wallach worked hard to keep the story grounded in reality. “85% based on fact” is the figure he used. »
- Michael C.
Similar News ItemsDanny Boyle
- Ewan McGregor’s Philip Roth Adaptation ‘American Pastoral’ Lacks Inspiration [Review] (From The Playlist. 19 October 2016, 1:28 PM, PDT)
- 21 of the Greatest Horror Films of the 21st Century (From The Hollywood News. 17 October 2016, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Irvine Welsh adapting bestselling novel Crime for television (From The Guardian - TV News. 16 October 2016, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Natalie Portman’s ‘Jackie’ Set for AFI Fest Gala Screening (From Variety - Film News. 21 October 2016, 4:02 PM, PDT)
- Key West Film Festival Announces Full Lineup, Including ‘Manchester by the Sea,’ ’20th Century Women’ and More (From Indiewire. 19 October 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- For Our Consideration: Kristen Stewart was the star of this year’s New York Film Festival (From The AV Club. 18 October 2016, 10:00 PM, PDT)
Barry Levinson (I)
- Mipcom: ‘Shades of Blue,’ ‘Eyewitness’ Creator Dreams of Life Without Hollywood (From Variety - TV News. 19 October 2016, 1:02 AM, PDT)
- How ‘Eyewitness’ Creator Adi Hasak Made His Own Opportunities (From Variety - TV News. 16 October 2016, 11:58 AM, PDT)
- October Horrors Day 7 – The Bay (2012) (From Flickeringmyth. 7 October 2016, 10:30 AM, PDT)