Let's just start this review off by saying yes, "Elementary" and "Sherlock" are similar. Obviously. They are based on the same public-domain source material. Seeing as CBS had at one point expressed interest in actually purchasing the rights to "Sherlock," there are some questions to be asked about whether "Elementary" is too derivative.
But we're not here to debate whether CBS should have made "Elementary," because they already did. "Elementary" is absolutely entertaining, and we didn't find our plagiarism alarms going off at any point.
"Elementary" is a procedural in the vein of "House" and "The Mentalist," in that the central character's acerbic charm and considerable baggage are far more intriguing than the actual mystery being solved. Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock Holmes is a recovering drug addict, but as far as he's concerned, that's all in the past. Miller's performance is the cornerstone of the show and he treats »
Similar News ItemsSherlock Holmes (2009)
- What to Watch: Tonight's TV Picks - Britain's Got Talent, Hostages (From Digital Spy - TV news. 19 April 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- How to Play... a superhero: Tips from Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 19 April 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Dom Hemingway – The Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 17 April 2014, 3:14 PM, PDT)
- Martin Freeman on Sherlock series 4: "Piss or get off the pot" (From Digital Spy - TV news. 18 April 2014, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Game of Thrones, Fargo, Got Talent: What to watch over Easter (From Digital Spy - TV news. 18 April 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Sherlock, Poirot: Who is the UK's favourite detective? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 17 April 2014, 11:11 AM, PDT)
Lucy Liu (I)
- 10 Celebs Who Won't Work Together (From newser. 6 April 2014, 12:25 PM, PDT)
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Anchorman 2,' 'The Pirate Fairy,' 'Once' (From Moviefone. 1 April 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Disney Blu-ray Roundup: ‘The Pirate Fairy’ (From SoundOnSight. 31 March 2014, 9:26 PM, PDT)