Let's just start this review off by saying yes, "Elementary" and "Sherlock" are similar. Obviously. They are based on the same public-domain source material. Seeing as CBS had at one point expressed interest in actually purchasing the rights to "Sherlock," there are some questions to be asked about whether "Elementary" is too derivative.
But we're not here to debate whether CBS should have made "Elementary," because they already did. "Elementary" is absolutely entertaining, and we didn't find our plagiarism alarms going off at any point.
"Elementary" is a procedural in the vein of "House" and "The Mentalist," in that the central character's acerbic charm and considerable baggage are far more intriguing than the actual mystery being solved. Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock Holmes is a recovering drug addict, but as far as he's concerned, that's all in the past. Miller's performance is the cornerstone of the show and he treats »
Similar News ItemsSherlock Holmes (2009)
- Film News: Gene Wilder of ‘Willy Wonka’ Fame Dies at 83 (From HollywoodChicago.com. 29 August 2016, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Gene Wilder's 10 Greatest Performances (From Rolling Stone. 29 August 2016, 2:30 PM, PDT)
- Gene Wilder, ‘Willy Wonka’ Star and Comedic Icon, Dies at 83 (From Variety - Film News. 29 August 2016, 12:22 PM, PDT)
- ‘Ghost Stories’ to shoot end of October (From ScreenDaily. 29 August 2016, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- New Trailer + Poster for British Post-Apocalyptic Thriller, ‘The Girl With All Gifts’ (From ShadowAndAct. 29 August 2016, 8:48 AM, PDT)
- Dan Harmon may have accidentally revealed a surprise villain from Doctor Strange (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
Lucy Liu (I)
- Elementary Season 5: True Blood Vet Tips Off Watson — Fall TV First Look (From TVLine.com. 16 August 2016, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Charlie’s Angels’ Again? How Reboots of Reboots Became the New Normal (From Variety - Film News. 7 August 2016, 2:40 PM, PDT)
- Charlie's Angels Reboot Lands A Pulitzer Prize Winner Writer (From LatinoReview. 27 July 2016, 1:59 PM, PDT)